Sponsored by:

Broken exhaust stud and Stomski Racing kit

Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Congrats...and

I bet you have a smile of satisfaction on your face!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The stomski kit is dummy proof.

In action:
http://rennsportkc.com/porsche-964-c...t-kansas-city/
Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Bumping this back up for a question for the experts: is heat an absolute must if I am going to try and attempt this? Or will the Stomski kit or another kit allow me to get the broken stud out? Would like to change the hard oil engine line as well as replace my oil return tubes and dreading trying to get the heat exchangers off for this very reason. I guess there's no way to really know unless I try but sitting with a broken stud I cant get out and needing to tow somewhere doesn't sound awesome anyday, but particularly now given the macro circumstances in our world today.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:49 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Heat is NOT an absolute must, use liquid wrench first. Soak overnight then impact wrench. If you find a stubborn nut/bolt then use heat (map gas). I broke one stud, tried welding a nut without any luck. In the end I drilled it myself (no kit). Stomski kit is easier, quicker and fool proof. Easy to use inverted under the car. There has to be one kicking around at someones garage, post WTB and see if you can get one locally.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 06-04-2020, 06:19 AM
NBL
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep Stomski is straight forward and easy to use. You don't need heat because the jig lines up your drill into the centre of the stud, so when you have finished drilling all that is left in the hole are the threads. You remove those with a tap, and your good to go. It's a 10 min job per stud.

If the stud is sticking out a bit, I welded on a much bigger nut to the broken stud and then could losen It out. The welding does a great job of getting the stud hot!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
is heat an absolute must if I am going to try and attempt this?
You can F'around for a week or more with penetrating fluid and even then... probably round off or snap something. That's assuming your fasteners aren't a pile of rust. Or you can buy small canisters of oxygen and mapp with a cheap tiny nozzle and regulator for very little money and spend a few minutes with a torch. Once you've tried this with heat, there is absolutely no way you would attempt it without.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:24 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You can F'around for a week or more with penetrating fluid and even then... probably round off or snap something. That's assuming your fasteners aren't a pile of rust. Or you can buy small canisters of oxygen and mapp with a cheap tiny nozzle and regulator for very little money and spend a few minutes with a torch. Once you've tried this with heat, there is absolutely no way you would attempt it without.
Super helpful. Looks like I'm going to need to expand my skillset before I tackle this one. Thanks for the nudge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken exhaust stud and Stomski Racing kit