Sponsored by:

964 Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Project

A real dog of a 1989 964 C4 has come up for sale where I'm at.

If my low-ball bid is successful, need help on a few things.

1. The car has a wide-body kit put on it, prob fibreglass. I'm more concerned about the suspension being done badly. Anyone heard nightmare stories about the widening of the rear axle, not using OE turbo-look components?

2. I've looked at the turbo-look.de register, and there seem to be only C2 turbo-look cabrios, but not coupes. Why is that? I'm thinking of converting the car to a C2 widebody, and wondering about what OE running gear to get. I would imagine that the turbo-look cabrio components would not be ideal, given the greater weight.

3. The kit has the turbo ducts. Should I retain them to improve cooling to the engine?

4. Anyone have pics of the 964 3.8RS interior?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Nobody?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

People are prob waiting for you to say you've got it if you've only made an offer so far!

But then I know these cars are very expensive and hard to find where you are.

1: should be easy for you to work out if the kit is fibreglass or not. Obv steel panels would be better... Suspension wise I think the cheap way to do it is with spacers. Otherwise you need turbo rear trailing arms. The front is an adjustment I think...?

2: I don't think you need to worry about turbo components being heavier or not for removing the AWD system. You're just removing parts. You'll need a new gearbox but that's it I think...

3: If they're there (and plumbed in correctly), why not just keep them? The turbo doesn't need them so the benefit to your NA 964 will be minimal.

4: google image search!

Sorry my replies aren't great....
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by StanUK951
People are prob waiting for you to say you've got it if you've only made an offer so far!

But then I know these cars are very expensive and hard to find where you are.

1: should be easy for you to work out if the kit is fibreglass or not. Obv steel panels would be better... Suspension wise I think the cheap way to do it is with spacers. Otherwise you need turbo rear trailing arms. The front is an adjustment I think...?

2: I don't think you need to worry about turbo components being heavier or not for removing the AWD system. You're just removing parts. You'll need a new gearbox but that's it I think...

3: If they're there (and plumbed in correctly), why not just keep them? The turbo doesn't need them so the benefit to your NA 964 will be minimal.

4: google image search!

Sorry my replies aren't great....
Thanks for the input.

1. I guess fibreglass is good as it's light, but I understand that it's brittle and deteriorates with time. Maybe CF replacements. Watching NineMeister's work with interest. If spacers are used, they must be huge.

3. Was thinking that the ports would increase airflow into the engine bay and improve cooling, esp in hot SG.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

If this is the car I think it is there was some discussion about it a while back (the last time it came on the market) on the Singapore part of the regional forums here. Will try and find it and PM you.

I had a look at the car personally a couple of months back and the front end set up (stance looks all wrong) and rust stopped me from going into it any further and inspecting the rear so can't comment on that.

Surely there's a nicer car to start with? Even with how hard it is to find them in SG.

Cheers.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:45 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
If this is the car I think it is there was some discussion about it a while back (the last time it came on the market) on the Singapore part of the regional forums here. Will try and find it and PM you.

I had a look at the car personally a couple of months back and the front end set up (stance looks all wrong) and rust stopped me from going into it any further and inspecting the rear so can't comment on that.

Surely there's a nicer car to start with? Even with how hard it is to find them in SG.

Cheers.
Thanks Sean, prob is the same one. Apparently chassis, engine, electronics are all pretty bad, but it has a COE till 2019, and I'm a sucker for punishment and saving basket cases. It all boils down to the price.

You in SG Sean?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Fair enough too, let me know if I can help in anyway.

Yes, I am. My cars in NZ though unfortunately.

Quick Reply: 964 Project