Vibration Through Gear Stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vibration Through Gear Stick

Chums

A question around vibration coming through the gear shifter on 964 C4. I have noticed I am getting vibration through the stick that appear linked to speed. On tick over and not engaged there is none but at 30mph it is slightly noticeable and then at 70mph tnere is quite a buzz if you place your hand on it (akin to a Rampant Rabbit whatever that is). No noise and you wouldn't notice it unless you rested your hand on the stick.

I've yet to change the sagging engine mounts and the rubbers to the shifter seem fine. Anyone got any ideas or clues as to symptoms?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will always get some vibration through the gearstick, so this is fairly subjective.

Do you have any other symptoms - any noises or rattles when you start the car or turn it off? You say it makes more of a noise at 70mph - you mention that it is this speed related, but does it do the same thing in all gears , but the engine revs are the same? It's probably unlikely that this is the cause, but have you ever had the Dual Mass flywheel changed?

Andy
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Zingari
Pro

Thanks Andy. In fairness I have only just noticed it as there are no other signs/symptoms associated with it. There is some vibration in cruising gears noticeably 4th and 5th given that I'm changing up quicker in the others but it is there at all speeds but seems to become more prevalent the faster you go.

Not sure on the DMF as the records show the clutch was changed approx 30k miles ago and so far seesm to be fine
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
garrett1021
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stick vibrates a good amount, I wouldn't worry about it. If you pay attention, it does it in quite a few manual cars (if not all) in my 2000 bmw 323 the shifter vibrates also
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Zingari
Pro

Yep.....I'm thinking the same as everything else works OK. My firts thought was the rubber bushings may have worn preventing isolation of any engine vibration. These will all be sorted when I drop teh new mounts in.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

If the 2 rubber dampers (item 34 & 35) are in position its probably normal. If the **** has been changed at sometime in the past these dampers may have been left off.

Quick Reply: Vibration Through Gear Stick