Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most simlar to Recaro PP's but reclining?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most simlar to Recaro PP's but reclining?

I've had a look but dont like the Recaro recliners I have seen.. which are the most similar in look and philosophy to the Pole Positions?

Also must be as light as possible... I am going for a lightweight approach to the car but don't want to loose the functionality (for the same reason am keeping the sound deadening)
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobra Misanos
Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Jack, I have been looking at these for a while. http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt67_4...1989-93/Seats/The RS Recline is the one I think works best. They will require are little modification on installing the runners but someone on here has already fitted a set. I'll try and find the link.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 471 Likes on 223 Posts

No brainer.

Which would you rather buy, a British seat made by a respected company in Britain who also produce FIA certified products, whose construction is beyond reproach ANDwhose products have full traceability ? Or a seat supplied by a UK company but made in China (with little or no chance of traceability in the event of a problem ?)

Clue. You don't see many Design 911 seats in BTCC cars . . . .

Whilst none of us plans to crash or be involved in an accident, it happens. When it does, having a good quality seat could mean the difference between walking away uninjured/with minor injuries, or not walking away at all.

This happened to my car just over eighteen months ago.

I wasn't wearing harnesses, but I was in the OE seats fitted to the car. NOTE : The company you've linked to sells replicas of the very same seats.

The car was written off such was the severity of the impact (as you can see, it all but snapped the tree off when it hit it) and the resultant damage caused.

I was, depending on how you view these things, very lucky or slightly unlucky (I consider it to be the former) I cracked two ribs as my torso impacted the seat shell side on.

The two cracked ribs were painful, but NOTHING like as painful as being in a substandard/replica seat that would've most likely broken away from its side mounts and left me rattling around inside the car after the side on impact with the tree at what I estimate was a speed in excess of 70mph.

By the best you can afford. One day your (or your passengers) life might just depend on it.

But if you still have any doubts as to whether the replica seat purchase is a pragmatic choice/"bargain" , ask for its crash test certification.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Atgani
No brainer.

Which would you rather buy, a British seat made by a respected company in Britain who also produce FIA certified products, whose construction is beyond reproach ANDwhose products have full traceability ? Or a seat supplied by a UK company but made in China (with little or no chance of traceability in the event of a problem ?)

Clue. You don't see many Design 911 seats in BTCC cars . . . .

Whilst none of us plans to crash or be involved in an accident, it happens. When it does, having a good quality seat could mean the difference between walking away uninjured/with minor injuries, or not walking away at all.

This happened to my car just over eighteen months ago.

I wasn't wearing harnesses, but I was in the OE seats fitted to the car. NOTE : The company you've linked to sells replicas of the very same seats.

The car was written off such was the severity of the impact (as you can see, it all but snapped the tree off when it hit it) and the resultant damage caused.

I was, depending on how you view these things, very lucky or slightly unlucky (I consider it to be the former) I cracked two ribs as my torso impacted the seat shell side on.

The two cracked ribs were painful, but NOTHING like as painful as being in a substandard/replica seat that would've most likely broken away from its side mounts and left me rattling around inside the car after the side on impact with the tree at what I estimate was a speed in excess of 70mph.

By the best you can afford. One day your (or your passengers) life might just depend on it.

But if you still have any doubts as to whether the replica seat purchase is a pragmatic choice/"bargain" , ask for its crash test certification.
FWIW there is no crash test "certification" on a Misano either. Only the fixed back seats carry FIA approval.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Recaro Sportster CS. Very supportive, but not cheap.

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...rtster-cs.html

Like Atgani said, I would avoid no-name replica seats.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Recaro Sportster CS
Dream seats. Unfortunately, at $3k (and up) a pair, I'll keep dreaming.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Recaro Sportster CS. Very supportive, but not cheap.
http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...rtster-cs.html
Very nice seats indeed. The Cross Sportster is the same seat but with a long seat cushion with very flat side bolsters for those who prefer a little easier entry/exit.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

ChaseN:
I know what you mean. I'd have to pay extra to get them done in Navy Blue to match my interior.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

ChaseN:
I know what you mean. I'd have to pay extra to get them done in Navy Blue to match my interior.
If I ever did get the bug to buy them, I'm fortunate that black would work. I have threatened to buy them one at a time before. Who knows, it may happen yet. Bonus season in my industry is coming soon
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChaseN
FWIW there is no crash test "certification" on a Misano either. Only the fixed back seats carry FIA approval.
I wasn't suggesting the Misano had FIA approval, merely that it's produced by a company that have high quality standards, so much so that other products they produce do have FIA certification.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
Jack, I have been looking at these for a while. http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt67_4...1989-93/Seats/The RS Recline is the one I think works best. They will require are little modification on installing the runners but someone on here has already fitted a set. I'll try and find the link.
they do look good... however the posts above about safety have given me food for thought. Thing is I used to ride motorbikes all the time.. and in comparison almost anything else is "safe" but perhaps i'm getting a bit blase about it all..

What is the RS Recline a replica of?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

They look a bit like RS4 seats from the front. I've taken all of the safety comments above to heart as well. Another of my choices is a Corbeau seat. Obviously a very well known British company and ticking all of the boxes that ChaseN mentioned with regard to safety. They also do direct fitment runners for the 964. I'm not sure about the weight which is obviously very important to your project but I have actually sat in them and at 6'2" and 17.5 stone they are very comfortable. I was heading to the Design 911 ones but now I think my mind is finally made up. Black Leather with Alcantara centre, Orange stitching (of course), and compatable with 4 point harness if required. £820 a side.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Just an update.

The Cobra Misano HAS passed the European static impact tests, and thus does have crash certification.

Furthemore, as I understand it, direct fit subframes are available to enable fitment of the Misano straight into the 964.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Atgani
The Cobra Misano HAS passed the European static impact tests, and thus does have crash certification.
When, and who was it certified by? When I spoke to Cobra last year all of their folding seats had been internally "tested to exceed" European & US Federal Motor Vehicle Standards, but no regulating body had approved or certified that test. I don't mean to split hairs but I'm curious if they actually submitted their seats to whatever European regulatory body governs that sort of thing. Their website hasn't been changed to reflect that if so.

Quick Reply: Most simlar to Recaro PP's but reclining?