Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   CCU Interior Blower/Fan is blowing 25A Fuse (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/755322-ccu-interior-blower-fan-is-blowing-25a-fuse.html)

RayB_911 05-08-2013 01:56 AM

CCU Interior Blower/Fan is blowing 25A Fuse

I have searched here and Pelican and read Tore's site. I have learned a fair amount but don't know what problem is yet. I am looking for guidance. My next step is to look at the passenger blower since that is common issue. Working on it tonight I think I have a link that might steer me in right direction, but I don't have any experience yet.

Some background....
Last fall a couple of months after I got it I had some quirky issues with CCU. I decided it was likely user error since I was still learning. One thing was the fan was full blast but was set to "1". I did have to replace the fuse once but not since.

This "Spring" I had no issues until about a week ago. Since our "Spring" has been terrible with even ice still on our lakes I don't have more than a couple hundred miles in this year.

Last week I didn't have any air coming out but had heat. Recalled issue from last fall and checked fuse. Blown. So, I replaced it. Been working fine. Lots of heat since it has still been high of 40F degrees until this week.

Yesterday, fuse blew. Replaced it, fan did not kick in right away. Turns speed to 3 and changed temp. I could tell something happened. Same thing this morning. Thinking maybe I got something wet washing it yesterday I tried one more fuse. Blew as soon after I started car to leave.

Sorry for the long story. Here is where I am at.

In Garage....
Fan on any setting except 0.
Temp at 24.
Ignition on, rear blower turns on.
Start car.
Turn the fan or turn on defrost or AC, I hear "click" or "snap" on rear engine compartment, 25A fuse 1 blows.

Can do it anytime now. Intermittent is no more.

Interior fan seized? I checked rear fuse compartment, have not tested any relays. Haven't pulled out CCU controls since last fall when I serviced the cabin air temp sensor

Help really appreciated!!! I just finally got chance to start driving her and don't want to spend too much time with this problem.

I am installing new motor mounts this weekend. was looking forward to it.

Thank you, thank you!

ToreB 05-08-2013 05:41 AM

I'm pretty sure that your interior fan(s) are seized or weared out.
You could do an easy check: set temp to minimum to rule out any issues with rear fan. Fan change is covered in several threads here, here's one of them:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ront-dash.html
Cheers,
Tore

RayB_911 05-08-2013 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ToreB (Post 10445862)
I'm pretty sure that your interior fan(s) are seized or weared out.
You could do an easy check: set temp to minimum to rule out any issues with rear fan. Fan change is covered in several threads here, here's one of them:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ront-dash.html
Cheers,
Tore

Thanks Tore. I was thinking I might hear from you. I read this thread, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I am heading down the right path and it is good to be confirmed. I guess if you can call it good. :)

Ray

Lorenfb 05-08-2013 12:02 PM

"Turn the fan or turn on defrost or AC, I hear "click" or "snap" on rear engine compartment, 25A fuse 1 blows."

Most likely the rear fan is at 'end-of-life'. The front fans should still blow
with A/C on and temp at minimum and 25A rear fuse removed. The rear
fan only begins to operate when the temp setting is off minimum setting.

Read here for more info under 'CCU 964/993':
http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm

RayB_911 05-08-2013 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenfb (Post 10446358)
Most likely the rear fan is at 'end-of-life'. The front fans should still blow
with A/C on and temp at minimum and 25A rear fuse removed. The rear
fan only begins to operate when the temp setting is off minimum setting.

Thanks Loren. The rear fan continues to run and is running well so far. I took that area apart last night and and checked the fuses etc. Damaged one of the plastic nuts for cover in the process. :grr:

Thanks for the link. I continue to my quest tonight!

RayB_911 05-09-2013 12:23 AM

A little more troubleshooting tonight.

Fan at 0.
Turn temp to red dot, rear fan blows.
Turn temp to blue dot, rear fan turns/stays off.
Turn temp to red dot, rear fan turns on.

Fuse does not blow. Gotta be one or both interior fans, right.

Time to plan for project and reread all I can about working with them. From what I read so far I hope it is passenger side only.

warmfuzzies 05-09-2013 04:58 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the fan fuse get uprated to 30A?

K

g60pops 05-09-2013 05:12 AM

This is what happened to my fuse instead of blowing:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ps61b2f826.jpg

RayB_911 05-09-2013 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies (Post 10448685)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the fan fuse get uprated to 30A?

K

I am working with fuse 1 in the trunk. It is for interior fan not rear. The rear is 30A in mine and I think I read it changed before mine was manufactured.

RayB_911 05-09-2013 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by g60pops (Post 10448692)
This is what happened to my fuse instead of blowing:

Ouch. What caused that?

Lorenfb 05-09-2013 11:36 AM

1.."Turn the fan or turn on defrost or AC, I hear "click" or "snap" on rear engine compartment, 25A fuse 1 blows."
2. "Fuse does not blow. Gotta be one or both interior fans, right."

Confused now. What fuse is blowing, front or rear?
Remember, the rear fuse is only for the rear blower.

boxsey911 05-09-2013 11:48 AM

Seeing as you have aircon, could it be that the air con pump has siezed? Maybe disconnect the electrical supply to it and see how you go with the fans and fuse?

I once had an intermittent problem of fuse 1 blowing. During my trials an errors I unplugged the multiplug to the front fans (under the scuttle panel under the hood on the right side). Cleaned up the contacts, plugged it back in and the problem went away. I guess I had a bad contact in there that occasionally drew too much current and blew the fuse.

RayB_911 05-09-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lorenfb (Post 10449235)
1.."Turn the fan or turn on defrost or AC, I hear "click" or "snap" on rear engine compartment, 25A fuse 1 blows."
2. "Fuse does not blow. Gotta be one or both interior fans, right."

Confused now. What fuse is blowing, front or rear?
Remember, the rear fuse is only for the rear blower.

Since all noises are new and I was workign alone, I was unable to know what the click was. I had miy kid with me and the click is not for the rear blower or in that box. it comes from on top of engine area. It sounds like some small that it is supposed to do.

The rear is all seeming ok. The blower is running back there. I have a small leak I discovered. The plastic pipe leadign to blower has a dent at the connection allwing air to bypass. The fan spun freely with out any wobble.

So I am running without interior fans right now and the fuses (25A front and 30A rear) are intact.

My new motor mounts come today so my priority may change for tonight. :)

RayB_911 05-09-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by boxsey911 (Post 10449260)
Seeing as you have aircon, could it be that the air con pump has siezed? Maybe disconnect the electrical supply to it and see how you go with the fans and fuse?

I once had an intermittent problem of fuse 1 blowing. During my trials an errors I unplugged the multiplug to the front fans (under the scuttle panel under the hood on the right side). Cleaned up the contacts, plugged it back in and the problem went away. I guess I had a bad contact in there that occasionally drew too much current and blew the fuse.

I will check this out. The air con was services at Porsche dealer in 2011 and blew super cold last year. I am not sure which one I woudl ratehr it be?

I pulled and reseated plugs but did not clean any a coupel days ago. It is worth a try before pulling the fans out.

g60pops 05-11-2013 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by RayB_911 (Post 10448858)
Ouch. What caused that?

No idea. Once i tidied up the wiring and replaced the fuse every thing seems to work fine, very baffling.