Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rstarga
Try 36 front and rear.
That's for 17s...not his 16 " wheels.

I know this seems to have only happened since the tire change but have you checked your engine mounts?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe we can get that particular Bridgestone tyre over here but looking at the tire rack description, it describes the tyre as 'all season' and is good for both summer and wintry conditions. The description of how you feel the car is reacting sounds very similar to the feeling I get when winter tyres are fitted.

In summer performance terms the RE050A is more akin to the SO2 and has been supplied on new 911s and boxsters for a number of years now.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I would suggest getting a matching set of tires for the front. Many years ago (1993), when I bought my C4 cab, the rear tires were worn. It had BFG CompTAs on it. I bought a new set of rears but the original tire model was no longer available. The tire store recommended BFG CompTA III's. I had them installed. The car felt terrible. After a few months of trying various adjustments, I went ahead and installed the matching front tires. The handling returned to normal. From that time on, I have always kept the exact same tire models on the front and rear and never had another problem. Its only an issue when the tire companies stop production of a tire.

FWIW - I always use N-rated tires too.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 05-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Agree- the 970 is an all-weather performance tire. I have them on my C4 and like them quite well, but a hi-po summer only tire they're not.

2. I run mine at 38r 34f and they do NOT "...wallow like a Cadillac..." on my car. (ETA: I run 16s)

3. Agree like crazy that you need the same model tire front and back. Do this before anything else.

4. I also agree that new rubber can place higher loading on your worn suspension bits and reveal previously-masked issues normally. In this case I'd move that down the list as a) you're running mismatched tires?! and b) even shot S02's should have plenty grip and stiffness to load up your suspension, especially when compared to the 970.

5. Could be you just don't like the all-season feel as compared to UHP summer-only construction. Again, I think they're pretty good on my car* but I didn't come off stiff sticky rubber.

*Chosen because:
1. Lots of highway miles regardless of conditions.
2. C4 limits are already stupid high; less grip is more fun for me.
3. 970 supposed to suck in the snow; I have snow tires, so for me the 970 is more like a quiet, comfortable, high-performance rain tire.

Luck!

Last edited by FeralComprehension; 05-02-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: moar deets
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just fitted some conti sport contact 2 N2 rated.
Perfect
seems they do need to be n rated but cant understand why my old nexans were perfect and the new ones terrible.
oh well, always going to use the faithful contii's from now on
Old 05-31-2013, 01:51 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: The rear tires seem to have settled in a bit better and the swinging in the back is not as noticeable. I think going to all season tires from S-02s was the biggest factor...flex in the new tread and perhaps whatever preserving oils/films on fresh tires accentuated the rear end swinging motion.

I couldn't get same model tires for the rear as the front...they don't make the 960 anymore and the 970 was the new replacement tire for the 960.

Still planning on going to a 17 inch rim...I want the Zuffenhaus Fuchs Replicas but just recently saw that PSAutoArt out of UK has Fuchs Replicas and have fired off an email for a quote plus shipping to California...we'll see how much they cost! Once procured, I'll probably go back to an S-02 type tire or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have the all season tires on my Porsche now, but in reality, I avoid taking the car out when it rains anyway so there's no point in having all season tires for me.

Quick Reply: Rear End Wallow w/ New Bridgestones...