Sponsored by:

HWY 36 & The California Mille

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HWY 36 & The California Mille

Yesterday I had to take my brother over to Redding, CA, from where we live in Southern Humboldt which meant being able to drive the 964 on HWY 36, which runs from HWY101 over to I-5. I'd done this stretch many times on my motorcycle but never in the Porsche and let me tell you, it's an awesome piece of tarmac, especially this time of year with the purple lupines out, snow in the Marble Mountains and the Yolly Bollys as well with views of snowcapped Mount Lassen and the mighty Mount Shasta. Curves galore and NO traffic whatsoever...plus not one single cop. I just loved how the 964 would bob and weave with each crest and dip of this curvaceous road as I mashed the loud pedal.

On the way back today we ran into some vintage cars tooling around Redding and were stoked to see them on our ride back to Southern Humboldt. It turns out they were part of the California Mille, a four day drive of 1000 miles in Northern California. Well, we rode along with them back west on HWY 36 and they even peeled off with us from Bridgeville to Alderpoint, then over to Garberville, near where I live. They were to continue on to the seaside town of Mendocino for the night. There were old Alpha Romeros, including a boat-tail Alpha that was RHD, a beautiful black Porsche 356 Cabriolet, an old MG, some Aston Martins, and others I couldn't identify.

So cool that they followed us back home and I'm sure they were having a helluva time with the gorgeous weather we've been having. I only wish I'd had my camera but for those interested, google California Mille for more information.

Anyways, that's life in the hills of Northern California. Happy Springtime driving to all of you!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM
911therapy1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds awesome! Here in Oregon it should be in the 80's the next few days, so going to Cars and Coffee in Portland on Saturday for the third time this spring. My car is in the shop right now getting mounts, bracing, shocks, and dampers... can't wait for the new ride height and look.

Sounds like you saw some great cars, I am looking forward to the collection of unique vehicles that will show up this weekend. Have a good one.

Quick Reply: HWY 36 & The California Mille