Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day exhaust noise solutions - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Jevo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day exhaust noise solutions - suggestions?

Hi,

i've had a scan around using search and seen a couple of solutions but trying to see if someone can categorically say this will work or this wont.

I was at Bedford Autodrome on sat and with my cup pipe i measured 106db!!! Not ideal when the static test was 101db at 4500rpm! Spent the morning swapping the cup pipe out which brought it down to 97.9db but not ideal having to change the box every track day...

So it looks like my combination of de-cat and cup pipe is too loud

So i guess options are

1) Leave the standard primary silencer in but if sounds strangled
2) Put the cup pipe back on but change it every track day for a primary silencer - best way to keep noise down!
3) change the tail pipe and use some sort of bung

I've seen the decibel devil but not sure that will bring the noise down enough from 106 to 101!!!

Are there any other bung solutions that anyone can recommend that will definitely bring the noise down to get through noise test but allow me to keep the cup pipe when on the road?

Cheers

Jason

Last edited by Jevo; 04-29-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Updated knowledge!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Decibel devil will save you about 3db. My solution (and I don't do many track days) is to have a tip and final silencer that I swap in one piece with another tip and g-pipe. I've not actually done it myself yet but it can't be more than a 10 minute job. I have a round tip on the final silencer so that I can also fit a Decibel Devil if I need to. I leave the de-cat pipe in place.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep mine close to standard - it's catbypass + standard + standard. That puts me around 100 db static and there's no messing about swapping stuff just to get through a noise test.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was 102.7db static at 4750rpm measured at Brands. Cat bypass + standard primary and secondary. I've not the engine tray fitted and I think that makes a small difference. Probably would be quieter with fresh or repacked silencers. A sports cat would take it down a lot I think.

Quick Reply: Track day exhaust noise solutions - suggestions?