Sponsored by:

dashboard light fuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dashboard light fuse

apparently the search function is working on rennlist (at least for me) - all i get is a nothing found message (i even typed in "964" and came back with nothing found!)

The problem: dashboard lights don't work.

Why: because i shorted out a dashboard light connection while installing a new stereo (i took the illumination from the unused rear fog light connector that's right next to the stereo, almost like a gift from the engineers). It had 11.5 v at full brilliance and 3v at lowest brilliance, now there is 0V. yes i've adjusted the dimmer potentiometer on the dash, yes the light switch was turned on. i'm just a dumba$$ that didn't cover a bare wire and shorted it out

question: where oh where is the fuse for dashboard lights. checked all the fuses in the frunk fusebox, all good. is there a hidden fuse somewhere? behind an instrument gauge maybe? can't find anything in owners manual about this fuse either.

good news though, the stereo works! (ipod control, customizable illumination so it can match the dash light colours - if only i could get the dashlight to work again!!!)

F
Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I just checked the wiring schematics. The power flows from the light switch > potentiometer > luminous intensity control > dash lights. Not sure what a luminous intensity control is. I don't see any fuses between light switch and the dash lights. You may want to check if you have post at the #58 terminal on the light switch.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
frankvan
Pro

thanks.
strangely enough, they work again now like a ciruit breaker tripped or something.
however, the stereo shuts off when i turn on the lights. i feel like i'm working on a british car with lucas electronics!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

It could be worse - an '80's Alfa/Lancia/Fiat/Ferrari (delete as appropriate). Random auto electrics at its best...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
frankvan
Pro

been there, had a 91 alfa 164 for 15 yrs! the porsche is a dream to work on compared to that.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by frankvan
....however, the stereo shuts off when i turn on the lights. i feel like i'm working on a british car with lucas electronics!
Aah, but then you would need to know what you're doing!

Quick Reply: dashboard light fuse