Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you choose a 964 C2 or C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've also had both and I like C2 more. Main thing compare these two cars is that the C4 does feel a heavier. C2 is much more fun to drive in every circumstance include snow.

So far only benefit for C4 compared to C2 is that you can accelerate much faster from traffic lights in winter.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You C4 naysayers I don't believe have driven the cars in crappy weather. I live in Michigan, USA, and drive my car any time I want; 30k miles in the last 20 months.

There is no way in hell a C2 will keep up with a C4 in any reduced-grip scenario, unless you skew things with better tires/better driver in the '2.

This may not be important to many- I get that, and the argument that the C2 is a more 'pure 911' experience, but for *this* driver (=not a pro) that uses his car regardless of the weather, it was an extremely simple choice.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Mikke, is from Finland, and whilst I consider my self to be a "fantastic" driver, he's possibly a better driver than the rest of us as most of the worlds top drivers have come from there.

I received an email from the dealer selling the C2. The owner has rejected my offer and given me a price which is $1700 under the sales price.

Now, The PPI has identified approx. $1000 of things that need to be fixed / repaired, plus the possible cost of a new clutch (it's sticky going in and out of gear) and the oil leaks.
The $1000 includes investigating the clutch and oil leak issues.

My offer was $5,900 below the asking price of $27900 as a starter.

I think $26200, is still to much considering the issues the car has. I have agreed to this price if they fix all the issues, they have refused.

I would be interested in your opinions
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

C4/C2...... You've won whatever you get!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Jevo
Intermediate

I too had the same problem... I really wanted a 964 for track use... Looked for a while thinking c2 was what I wanted but ended up buying a modified c4 because it had most of what I wanted already done...

But at the back of my mind was that if the c4 disappointed on track I could always convert it to 2wd and even add a 6 speed 993 box (so I am lead to believe!)

The money you are saving will pay for plenty of mods that you would have to do to the c2 anyway and if you really want the c2 experience after all that then use the differential to convert to 2wd...

Not the ideal answer and I'm sure purists will say start with c2 but at least this gives you options

Just my opinion of course
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
Well Mikke, is from Finland, and whilst I consider my self to be a "fantastic" driver, he's possibly a better driver than the rest of us as most of the worlds top drivers have come from there.

I received an email from the dealer selling the C2. The owner has rejected my offer and given me a price which is $1700 under the sales price.

Now, The PPI has identified approx. $1000 of things that need to be fixed / repaired, plus the possible cost of a new clutch (it's sticky going in and out of gear) and the oil leaks.
The $1000 includes investigating the clutch and oil leak issues.

My offer was $5,900 below the asking price of $27900 as a starter.

I think $26200, is still to much considering the issues the car has. I have agreed to this price if they fix all the issues, they have refused.

I would be interested in your opinions
The gear issue could be something simple like fluid change needed or engine mounts. The fact is you will end up spending money on whatever car you buy so I wouldn't get hung up on $1k here or there if the reat of the car checks out nice. Leave it a couple of days and counter offer $25?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ras62
The gear issue could be something simple like fluid change needed or engine mounts. The fact is you will end up spending money on whatever car you buy so I wouldn't get hung up on $1k here or there if the reat of the car checks out nice. Leave it a couple of days and counter offer $25?
I agree, on the clutch thing, but what surprises me, is that they put a car up for sale and don't bother to look at the issues themselves. At least be honest about the car. They want top money for a car that needs work. if it had a good comp service history, then $26kish is in the right ball park.

I'll stew over it for a few days and come back with a counter offer and see where it goes from there.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Zurich, London or Limerick a car dealer is a car dealer....never known one yet that willingly spends money unnecessarily..some even when it is necessary! Good luck, I hope it works out
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I beat on a somewhat developed but streetable '92 C4 for four years on track (concurrently with a '73 S), then moved into RSA #1 for Club Racing in Stock, followed after wrecking that occasionally using its lightly modified replacement as an occasional DE car.

Bottom line, using Thunderhill as a constant and equal tires (Kumho V700s back then), the C4 was good for about 2:08, the RSA was 2:03, and RSA #2 was 2:07. I drove all of them the same (as I do today with the faux 993RS, which is a 2:00 car for comparison, and the '97 C4S.)

Get the best car for YOU, at the price point you're comfortable with.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

ras62, I know where you are coming from, but I disagree with you. Sure it's buyer beware, but I have worked in the motor trade for 30 odd years and the sales man will get away with what they can. However, I know several UK dealers, that will ensure that what they are selling is in top condition and if something needs doing, they get it done or they negotiate on the price.
This way, they get a good rep for selling good cars.
In this case and the same on another 964 I had PPi'd, they want top money for a car that's just not worth it. I have been looking for sometime now and I can see what these cars are going for.
There are other lower mileage cars out there at the same price and one in particular that has a full history going back to the original owner.
i went for this car because it was not so obviously good, because I didn't want to start pulling apart a very original car and start modifying it.

My conclusion tonight, is buy the C4, spend the money on it and enjoy. if it's not for me, move it on as a better car than when I bought and hunt for another C2.

race911, you and a couple of the other guys here are helping me realise, that a C4 is not that bad.

I'll sleep on that thought.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

I think I mentioned in another thread I was stuck on a C2 coupe, but then this beautiful C4 came up for sale with everything done to it, and only had 69k miles priced under $25k. in the end, "buy the best example of whatever you find" so I did. I am very happy!! Regarding 20 year old cars, most will need something, and most dealers buy from individuals without going thru these cars just to make a quick $$ on the ever increasing demand for air cooled 911's, as well as 356's.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealers have to make money and that has to be figured into the equation. You'd be better off with a private party sale.

As to the original question, I live in a very mountainous area with lots of verticality and I absolutely love my C4 for tearing around on the local roads. There's a road that comes up from the ocean and probably gains about 2000 feet in elevation in the span of 3 or 4 miles and I marvel at how fast I can go around extreme uphill hairpins with all four wheels just gripping the pavement with nary a protest. I'm sure the sight of me hurtling uphill is startling to some of the other cars on the road. There's just no way a two wheel drive car would be able to keep up with a C4 on these types of roads.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
I've made an offer on the C2, but we will see if they will accept it.
that's bad news. sorry to hear you couldn't find a good C4.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

So, thus far, my offer has been rejected on the C2.

Today, if the car is still available, I will book the C4 in for a PPI.
I'll be travelling on business for the next 4 or 5 days, so a friend of mine is going to deal with this for me.
Lets see where it goes from here.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stuart, there is a LHD C2 that has just come up for private sale in the UK. 17,000 GBP I believe. Do you want contact details?

Quick Reply: What you choose a 964 C2 or C4