Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The (Semi-Official) 964 Driving Tips Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a few of us are in that position. I've booked some training specifically to address this.

In the meantime I'm reading "ultimate speed secrets" at the moment and it says something relevant about driving in the wet: drive right at the limit, keep the car moving around at all times, braking - turn in - apex - power on - track out, this way when it does step out it doesn't surprise you and it's a smaller correction.

Transfering that to the dry. If you drive well within the limits when you do cross the line and get into a slide you've taken a massive jump from say 3deg to 12deg slip in a short space of time, you have a lot of yaw rate and polar momentum - you are catching a spining hammer. But if you are on the edge to start with say 7deg slip and start to slide at 9deg you don't have that big swing to catch with the flailing "oh ****" maneouver (which enevitably swings back the other way) and instead you can make minor corrections and hold the angle you want - more like balancing the hammer on your fingertip - if you look at the onboard for people like Chris Harris the hand speed is surprisingly slow, only when you get into full on lock stops drifting do you start to see spinning steering wheels.

I'll be trying to put that in practice this year - use more of the traction circle more of the time and have fewer ungainly "recoveries".
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

Calling KaiB ;-)
First HSR event.

A lot to learn about racing, no radio, slowest car in the field engine wise and I don't know how to start yet.

Really only racing one car and I passed him in both races after he made a better start twice, the second race I think he jumped me before green..

Friday qualifying.

Saturday race.

Sunday race.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very smooth Peter....PM sent.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts