Redrilling 964 Hubs for new PCD

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redrilling 964 Hubs for new PCD

Hi All,

I have a set of wheels that i'm desperate to get on my 964. Trouble is they're completely wrong for the car however i'm not giving up just yet! I know from my VW days that an option is to get them plugged and redrilled but as these wheels have exposed lug holes its going to end up being a mammoth job.

Now, when looking at the amount of meat on the hubs of a 964 its got me thinking... In the spaces between the studs, could I get them redrilled to 5x114.3 which my new wheels are, remove the original studs and use bolts to get them on?

Thanks in advance,

Angus
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you have the hubs drilled - what about the rotors? I'm curious to see what wheels would make someone go through this much trouble. There are so many wheel options for Porsche and you can get custom made ones - I don't think I would ever muck with the hubs for a set of wheels as it seems to risky and too expensive should you fail.

Good luck and show us some pics!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
IanR
Racer

It may be possible to re-drill the front hubs, as the hub is round (can't see it in your photos as it's inside the disk bell). However, the rear hubs are kind of star-shaped, with the wheel studs mounted in each of the (short) arms - I can't see there being any room. Also note that standard PCD is 130 - you'd be trying to move the studs in by nearly 8mm.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't ask or say , but that will not stop me , off set & back space ?
Have you calculated all that out ?

"remove the original studs and use bolts to get them on?"
It's rare to have the meat for threads where studs were .
If you do convert over 5x114.3 , why not stay with studs ?

Some wheels will not take a redrilling , some will .
Have you thought about redoing the wheels to fit the stock porsche bolt pattern ?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IanR
It may be possible to re-drill the front hubs, as the hub is round (can't see it in your photos as it's inside the disk bell). However, the rear hubs are kind of star-shaped, with the wheel studs mounted in each of the (short) arms - I can't see there being any room. Also note that standard PCD is 130 - you'd be trying to move the studs in by nearly 8mm.
Yes I've seen the rears and thought they might be tricky.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
You didn't ask or say , but that will not stop me , off set & back space ?
Have you calculated all that out ?

"remove the original studs and use bolts to get them on?"
It's rare to have the meat for threads where studs were .
If you do convert over 5x114.3 , why not stay with studs ?

Some wheels will not take a redrilling , some will .
Have you thought about redoing the wheels to fit the stock porsche bolt pattern ?
Yes the calculations of backspace is not an issue as they are 3 piece wheels so I can get different barrels and different lips to fit. The offset is the problem hence having to alter the PCD on the wheels or hubs. As the wheels have a low offset using PCD adapters which are a minimum of 15mm thick will lower my offset even more.

Yes I could have studs just think it maybe easier when redrilling hubs and rotors to use bolts but whichever really?

Redrilling and plugging is the only option at the moment but as they have exposed lug holes and dont have flat backs it's going to be a hell of a job.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

There are big studs , stock car size , if you drill everything oversize and offset from stock , you can get things to match up sometimes .
Speedway sells a set of 5/8 studs and nuts "cheap" .
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wheel-...ngth,5483.html
Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dubfordstyling
Yes the calculations of backspace is not an issue as they are 3 piece wheels so I can get different barrels and different lips to fit. The offset is the problem hence having to alter the PCD on the wheels or hubs. As the wheels have a low offset using PCD adapters which are a minimum of 15mm thick will lower my offset even more.
I don't feel comfortable with this , have you actually done the work to make sure that you can have everything line up ?

Yes I could have studs just think it maybe easier when redrilling hubs and rotors to use bolts but whichever really?
If the hub doesn't have the meat for enough threads the bolt option is a non starter . After drilling new bolt holes , the bolt holes need to be tapped , that is not a "whichever really" thing . Every machining step when doing bolt holes is set in stone , not so much with stud holes .

Redrilling and plugging is the only option at the moment but as they have exposed lug holes and dont have flat backs it's going to be a hell of a job.
Drilling a hole offset and larger should not be a problem for a machinest with a milling machine .
Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either have them re-drilled and filled so there are no holes, or get adapters to fit the new PCD.

Altering the hub is a bad idea, and then if you want porsche wheels again you have to convert back,
Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

So every time you have a major brake service with rotor replacements you'll have to re-drill the rotor hats? Unless you plan to go with custom two-piece rotors.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
I don't feel comfortable with this , have you actually done the work to make sure that you can have everything line up ?

If the hub doesn't have the meat for enough threads the bolt option is a non starter . After drilling new bolt holes , the bolt holes need to be tapped , that is not a "whichever really" thing . Every machining step when doing bolt holes is set in stone , not so much with stud holes .

Drilling a hole offset and larger should not be a problem for a machinest with a milling machine .
Which bit don't you feel comfortable with? The width at the back can be made narrower or wider dependant on the barrel and on the front of the wheel can also be made narrower of wider by changing the lip

The drilling part is not too much of a problem, its the fact that the original lug holes will have to have a plug made, welded up, welds ground down before the drilling can be done - thats the tricky bit
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Either have them re-drilled and filled so there are no holes, or get adapters to fit the new PCD.

Altering the hub is a bad idea, and then if you want porsche wheels again you have to convert back,
Cant use PCD converters as it will lower the offset otherwise that would be my 1st choice
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess you could get rotors with removable hats - with two sets of hats you could switch back and forth depending on the wheel you use.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been through all these options before trying to fit the LMs bud. Its hard to fit a car to a set of wheels sometimes

What are you trying to fit and ill give you my thoughts if you need?

Drop me a PM if you need.

Chris
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s4magman
I guess you could get rotors with removable hats - with two sets of hats you could switch back and forth depending on the wheel you use.
Now thats a thought!

Quick Reply: Redrilling 964 Hubs for new PCD