Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finding some oil leaking, could it bee from an oil overfill?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:00 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default finding some oil leaking, could it bee from an oil overfill?

I did my own oil change last week, drained from both plugs and changed the oil filter. It is possible that I have added too much oil. At temp, the gauge is 3/4 and the dipstick is the same.

Recent drives I have been smelling a hot oil smell in the cabin at a stop. Looking under the car, I can see fresh oil that has leaked from somewhere and down onto the LHS muffler. With the car up, I can see some baked on oil where the exhaust enters the muffler (heat exchangers).

Could this simply be from an oil overfill, or am I looking at a more serious issue? I'll clean off the best I can and keep an eye on it. I was also thinking of giving the engine bay a wash so I can monitor. Any suggestions for this?

Peter
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

You might have a little oil floating around from the oil change .
Did you spill any oil when removing the oil filter ?

If you overfill , the extra oil goes into the intake , into the cylinders , out the exhaust , if everything is normal .
Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't think of an over fill at 3/4. Probably a leak somewhere. Look where it comes from. Could be from the oil line between oil filter housing and the engine. Also could come from the base of the cylinders, or because of worn valve guides seeping down the heat exchanger studs (though that's normally very little only).

Big Mike has a good thread running with info for you... Or search for a thread started by me for some extra info.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surely if oil has leaked from the change wont it be down the rear right of the car. Or do you mean down the LHS of the muffler on the RHS?

Mine is caked in oil and debris underneath due to numerous oil changes and spills I presume. One thing for sure there should be no corrosion underneath all the crud
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

oil filter came out with no mess. No spill when filling. Wondered what an overfill would do, but maybe it's a bigger problem.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take a good look around the valve covers. Also like someone else mentioned, the oil line going from bottom of oil tank, to metal line, to rubber hose at bottom of engine. Mine was leaking just recently bad enough that at one moment when I kicked it, the line spit out a couple of quarts. One tear down of the injection system, a good cleaning, got most of the oil that was sucked into the air filter out. The rest was removed from the exhaust via driving at 3k rpm to burn the exhaust out. The rubber L shaped hose looked fine when tightened back up, but after removal and replacement, had a split where the hose clamp was. So if its on the passenger side, I would check there. By the way I was adding oil once a week, since that instance, almost 2 weeks ago, no oil added.

Quick Reply: finding some oil leaking, could it bee from an oil overfill?