Sponsored by:

New member getting car track ready

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default New member getting car track ready

After years of dreaming I recently joined the ranks of p-car owners and am looking to get my car ready for the upcoming DE sessions. I recently replaced the brakes and noticed that one of the front wheel bearings was not spinning as freely as the other. I am up to the task of replacing it however I am short the tool required to pull the wheel carrier and press in/out the bearings. Would anyone be willing to lend the appropriate tool to someone they have never met or have any personal knowledge of? ?

If anyone is willing to lend it to me I would obviously take care of the expense to safely transport the tool.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I did - and one is on my short list.

I'm glad you're asking about a press; please do not use anything but the proper tool. You might hear of others who have had "success" via other means, but our good Herr Weiner has beat this one into my head.

This one may be worth paying a proper shop to do the job right, or great justification for a purchase.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! Did anyone ask for pictures of your car yet? We'd love to see them and to hear more about you and your car.

Sorry, I don't have that special tool either.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

Name:  DSCN16341.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  221.4 KB

I have owned the car for about a year now, the picture is the day I drove it home! I have always dreamed of having an air cooled Porsche but until recently was only able to read the forums and live vicariously. I have always liked working on things and have found many items that needed repair (door stay, distributor belt, rotors/pads) the more I look the more I find.

I also want to enjoy driving the car but have limited experience in doing so. I have signed up for some driving events in the Chicago area to hopefully pick up some driving knowledge. Looking forward to my first track experiences and meeting all the flat six fanatics out there!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Looks great! Welcome to the flat six club.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice car!!!!

964 Targa's are quite rare.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

Nice looking car! It looks as though you have a really nice example there

I love white Targas, nearly bought one to go with my black Coupe but don't have the room at the moment.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome and congratulations. Enjoy the Porsche train, but hold on to your wallet as you start to hit the track.

Skip
Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and congrats !! That looks like a great looking Targa. Love the white
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

thanks for all the compliments. One other question that came to me is what do most people do for insurance as a novice at the DE. Do most run with the regular coverage which does not cover track events, like mine, or do people typically purchase track day insurance additionally?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by izeckel
thanks for all the compliments. One other question that came to me is what do most people do for insurance as a novice at the DE. Do most run with the regular coverage which does not cover track events, like mine, or do people typically purchase track day insurance additionally?
I'll wager that many run without, some have DE's covered by their regular carrier and a few purchase specific insurance.

The PCA has sponsor coverage for DE events through Lockton. Purchase by the event, 3, 6 or 9 pack - they (Lockton) has a list of covered events which is not exclusive to PCA should you wander out to NASA or other track clubs.

It's a bit pricey, but peace of mind bears no cost for some.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi and welcome
If you're handy with the wrenches, changing a wheel bearing is no problem really. But as KaiB has said it's all about the having the right tools. I bought a 10ton press off eBay a few years back and I've lost count of the number of times I've used it. They're really not expensive and even with the purchase cost will still likely be cheaper than paying somebody to do the swap for you. The only part of the job I don't bother with is the removal and refitting of the hub nut. It's just not worth the hassle with breaker bars etc. I just walk into a local garage and ask if they wouldn't mind putting their impact wrench on it. Job done for the price of a beer :-)
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM
izeckel
Intermediate

I ended up buying the Sir tools bearing puller and had great success with it tonight. The puller was very easy to use and setting it up was straight forward. First time ever doing this procedure with Rennlist as my guide.

The only question I had when I went to use it was that you had to tap out the ABS wheel before using the tool.

Name:  good closeup bearing damage b.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  215.0 KB

The only sign that I had a bad bearing was when I would spin the wheel carrier there was a little grinding sound and did not spin freely for long (this is without the brake disks or pads installed).I could not hear it while I was driving for some reason.

Is it normal for only one ball to be damaged like this. The ***** seemed to be more yellowed on the one side vs the undamaged side.

This is fun stuff.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 AM
KaiB
Banned

GREAT tool - huh? This one is on my short list.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by izeckel
Is it normal for only one ball to be damaged like this. The ***** seemed to be more yellowed on the one side vs the undamaged side.
Nice work

Not sure if it's normal but I have had a wheel bearing go in exactly the same way on another car, one ball seems to weld itself to the bearing surface and they tear a little chunk out of each other. I attributed mine to a single high speed high temp run followed by a dead stop, when I pulled away there was a god awful grinding for a few hundred yards, I put it in reverse and backed up a few feet and tried again, and the noise was gone, soon after I started to notice what sounded like a distant helicopter whenever I was at higher speed.

It was a subtle noise and I totally misdiagnosed the issue and actually ended up changing the gearbox only to find the sound was still present, eventually tracked it down to the bearing.

Quick Reply: New member getting car track ready