Sponsored by:

Exhaust Noise Level reduction ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by h_____
Simon - I agree, the car didnt seem that loud!!
I think the 4,800 Rev request must have hit the sweet spot for resonance, hence why it registered so high on the DB reading. On the M40 return I was trying different speeds, gears and rpm ( I was bored) and the 4,800 was uncomfortable to the ears for any lengh of time.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Marc's so right re induction noise - put some foam in there and you might just squeeze thru.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

As another data point, a Decibel Devil (in a round exhaust tip) took me from 109 to 106 db at Bedford on the static test. My set up was g-pipe and decat, although I am now going to fit a standard rear silencer in place of the g-pipe for track days (in fact I will have the rear silence plus round tip as a swappable unit for the g-pipe and oval tip)
Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
The black 3.2 carrera was mega loud. How it passed the static test I have no idea
According to the owner Jev, who I've met before:

Thanks Boxsey, I baffle and pack both exits for the static test then pull them before I head out on track and never had any hassle with any drive by police.

Hot engine + dipped clutch + a smile a the noise tester usually helps too. My Mrs did the noise test for me this time and I think her smile got her off with a 4200 rev too.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM
VR6-er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the thread hijack. I've got a primary bypass on mine and am adding a decat pipe. Will the decat make it louder?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
According to the owner Jev, who I've met before:

Thanks Boxsey, I baffle and pack both exits for the static test then pull them before I head out on track and never had any hassle with any drive by police.

Hot engine + dipped clutch + a smile a the noise tester usually helps too. My Mrs did the noise test for me this time and I think her smile got her off with a 4200 rev too.
Thanks again boxsey I tried to help the OP when he was looking for stuff in the motorsport shop at Oulton with the same advice.

As you know the 3.2 runs a 993 3.6 and the exhaust is a magnaflow x-over box which is fairly small and light. It does bang a pop a lot but that doesnt seem to bother the sound tests/meters. It might be worth looking into for you 964 guys as other than flipping the flanges on a set of 993 HE's its a bolt on mod that should win you some power, save some weight, retains the standard heat stuff and also gives you easy baffle and bung options.

Heres a pic of the system before swapped the tailpipes:

And fitted:
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Nice 3.2 Jevvy....were you also at Silverstone on Sunday?

Does this go to show that static noise tests bear no relation to actual noise!?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Nice 3.2 Jevvy....were you also at Silverstone on Sunday?

Does this go to show that static noise tests bear no relation to actual noise!?
Yeah I popped up to Silverstone on Sunday afternoon too - was good fun but well slippery. I didnt see you, were you playing too?

Static noise tests are certainly harsh on a 911 and I've had a few close shaves over the years. I used to leave the baffles in after the noise test but the wire wool just sets on fire and the baffle inevitably falls out so I just pull them and have never tripped the drive by's. I think the theory of the x-flow box is the sounds from each bank whack into each other and kill some of the volume, heres a vid from when I first fitted it(excuse the tailpipes) - very loud at tickover but as the revs rise the volume seems to drop somewhat.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VR6-er
Sorry for the thread hijack. I've got a primary bypass on mine and am adding a decat pipe. Will the decat make it louder?
Yep!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jevvy964
Yeah I popped up to Silverstone on Sunday afternoon too - was good fun but well slippery. I didnt see you, were you playing too?
Nope, was on a tour of the Silverstone facilities (BRDC, Race Control, etc) with a mate....will try and catch up next time I see you out on track!

Static noise tests are certainly harsh on a 911 and I've had a few close shaves over the years. I used to leave the baffles in after the noise test but the wire wool just sets on fire and the baffle inevitably falls out so I just pull them and have never tripped the drive by's. I think the theory of the x-flow box is the sounds from each bank whack into each other and kill some of the volume,
Agreed. I may have to look into this more

Soz Barty if we've gone a bit
Old 06-26-2024, 07:51 PM
MSH5
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any current simple solutions anyone can suggest. Not looking to change the exhaust, just add a reduction tip or insert a baffle. Car is a standard RS.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:22 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Decibeldevil. Takes about 3dB off

https://www.driftshop.com/decibel-de...universal.html

Quick Reply: Exhaust Noise Level reduction ???