993 vs 964

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 993 vs 964

Hey folks,

Just posted this on the 993 forum, however for balance wanted to see what you guys think?

Been looking at auto trader (not to buy, just curious) and I have noticed that the 993's really hold the money..starting at £20K up to £70k.

Although I would always default for the 964 as I do prefer the upright lights. I am developing a soft spot for the 993 and if I had the money would love one in my stable.

I know that the 993 was a leap on from the 964, however am I right in thinking that they share the same platform, engine, components etc... etc...

So my question is....What sets them so far apart on price???

No 993 bashing please....
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I have owned both on C2 platform and now own both on RS platform.
Both are superb, one is a little more modern and easier to drive (suspension feel/confidence). One is a little bit more old Skool 911!
Both quirky, epic build quality and is down to what floats your boat.
If I could keep just one type, it's a 964! Involving and addictive.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having owned a 993 for a few years and recently selling it I can tell you they are great cars. As a replacement for the 964 they have basically improved on the 964 platform. Switch gear is better (ie no hidden switches for sunroof, washers, L/R mirror) and a better assembled engine to prevent rebuilds early on and top end oil leaks. It was great and with only 55k on the clock for a 1995 the buyer got a very original car.

I realised after a few months I needed another air cooled and for me the 964 shape held the iconic platform. Both are very very similar in terms of rock solid quality build. 964 has a few rough edges that we all know about but they have more charisma.

What is strange is 993 prices are holding and over the last 6yrs have dropped slightly (refernced this from Totall 911 magazine I have from 2006). 964 on the other hand have leaped forward and good ones are on a par with 993. Whether its 'fashion' or not time will tell.

What I can say about ownership and buying/selling experiences is 993 buyers get hung up on mileage so 100k+ examples take a drop in value. Plus not many 993 are used as daily drivers and end up fair weather weekend machines (afraid to admit I ended up in this camp hence why I sold).

Trouble is once you've had a decent air-cooled car you will always hanker after another - so dont let go
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

.....the other "plus", if you give it added value, is that the 993 is the "last of the air-cooled Porsches".
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not trying to be a jerk but search this topic There have been numerous threads that have covered this topic and most spin out of control
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can never have too many 993 vs 964 threads! I find them fun. ;-)
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how long it'll take, before this thread degenerates into the usual bloodbath
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 993 has jumped the shark.
maybe?
easy, just kidding.
: )
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 964 with a 993 engine swap and feel no lust to upgrade, so to speak, to a "real" 993.
Maybe I'm just weird because I prefer the D90 wheels to the 17 inch Fikse wheels the car came with. I'll probably be listing the Fikse wheels soon.
Larry
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Its all about preference. Although finding a clean 964 with reasonable to low mileage for a good price is near to impossible. IMO I think it would be the smartest buy assuming they exist. For too long the 964 has been pushed aside with claims the 993 is a superior car. As subjective as that comment is their are more similarities than differences. Both offer a great experience as some said the 993 is more civilized and the 964 a bit more old school. Both have their issues.

As the 964's get older and harder to find clean examples I think you will find the pricing is actually getting closer than you think. Most every 964 I have seen on the market for the past 8 months has history or high mileage hence the lower prices while the 993's are on average lower mileage and babied commanding more money. Find two lower mileage cars you can do an apples to apples comparison and I think you will find they command a similar price with very low mileage 964's soon to command equal or greater $$ than the 993's. It is interesting how all the pre 98 Porsche's (boxster not included) have seen a dramatic increase in value for exceptional condition and low mileage.

If the key is to find the car that offers the performance you want and will hold its value over time I think you won't go wrong with either. Right now the 911 SC market is booming and cars that were bringing $12-13k before are now seeing mid to high $20's. I think given time the 964's will have their place in the spotlight assuming anything under 60k miles still exists by then.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Both are fantastic cars, and it makes my day anytime I see either one out on the road.

(sorry about my 4x4 height)

Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
(sorry about my 4x4 height)
when you eventually rectify this problem, you are going to be amazed at the performance improvement ... it would easily be the most cost effective mod for a 964.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sorry OP, quick hijack...

Originally Posted by sml
when you eventually rectify this problem, you are going to be amazed at the performance improvement ... it would easily be the most cost effective mod for a 964.
100% agree. When it does happen, I'm budgeting $2,000 for the project (simple Billy/HR Green, while I'm in there parts, and Geo settings).

I've raced/ridden extreme mountain biking trails for over 20 years...so I'm very "in-tune" the benefits of a good suspension setup. My go-to Mtn. bike has Fox Shoxs with adjustable height, compression, rebound, etc. Plus, over-sized 36mm stanchion tubes! The ride is just sublime. You wouldn't believe what I can motor over (at SPEED) because of that set up.

It's just that something always seems to come up first. In fact I'm taking the wife to Paris for a week (next week, sans kids!)... $$$$. And, we just started talking to builders in regards to doing a complete kitchen renovation.... huge $$$$.

Honestly, I'd rather buy a new mountain bike first (which for me starts at $4,000). Unfortunately my wife is next in line if a new bike comes to the garage.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

I've raced/ridden extreme mountain biking trails for over 20 years...so I'm very "in-tune" the benefits of a good suspension setup. My go-to Mtn. bike has Fox Shoxs with adjustable height, compression, rebound, etc. Plus, over-sized 36mm stanchion tubes! The ride is just sublime. You wouldn't believe what I can motor over (at SPEED) because of that set up.

Honestly, I'd rather buy a new mountain bike first (which for me starts at $4,000). Unfortunately my wife is next in line if a new bike comes to the garage.
What do you ride? I've got a Yeti ASR5 carbon in the garage that is begging to be ridden. I've been neglecting him lately...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
100% agree. When it does happen, I'm budgeting $2,000 for the project (simple Billy/HR Green, while I'm in there parts, and Geo settings).

It's just that something always seems to come up first. In fact I'm taking the wife to Paris for a week (next week, sans kids!)... $$$$. And, we just started talking to builders in regards to doing a complete kitchen renovation.... huge $$$$.

The other day I noted a killer set of Moton for a 964 on Pelican for pennies on the dollar. Desperately wanted them but couldn't justify 3 grand when I already have a good setup. Are you sure wifey wants you to tag along to Paris?

Quick Reply: 993 vs 964