Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frunk mounted oil tank (ultimate design?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish you'd stop poking this idea as it's giving me bad thoughts

"Dash 12 connections for supply and return"

Thats good to know as this was one of my concerns. The current oil tank setup has a very short path through a large dia pipe to the engine. I imagine the height of the tank or amount of 'head' plays a crucial part. With a remote mounted tank, will the length of the engine-feed cause an issues for the pressure pump? Think about being parked nose down on a steep hill. If the car is sat for a while could you be in danger of the feed draining back to the tank and cause the pump to suck air!

For me, the solution would *have* to keep the spare wheel. I like Captain's idea of using the dead space above the front subframe. Captain, what would you do with the brake servo then? are you planning to do away with it? fit small MC?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Those can't be "BAD" thoughts - improvement = good thoughts.
All the current lines don't need to be run to the front. All the breather lines can be run to a smaller breather tank mounted in the rear. Only return and feeder lines from front tank. As long as oil tank is mounted higher than the intake on the bottom of the engine you will have sufficient pressure pushing oil into engine oil pump.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:53 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

True. Pressure is one consideration but flowrate is another. Perhaps I'm over analysing this, but consider a cold start on a cold day with thick gloopy oil. The flow rate out of the tank under gravity in its current position would be far greater than if the tank were mounted in the front on the end of a 3 meter long pipe.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robt964
For me, the solution would *have* to keep the spare wheel. I like Captain's idea of using the dead space above the front subframe. Captain, what would you do with the brake servo then? are you planning to do away with it? fit small MC?
Throw as far away from the car as possible and fit a twin master cylinder pedal box

SVP service my car, Dom there is ex F1, WRC etc so knows where to put the right parts in the right places when building a car
Old 12-06-2014, 06:54 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is something I'm presently doing, so I've been getting these and ready to
I'll keep you posted on the trials and tribulations
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2014, 04:09 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Nice I'll let you do the hard work, then copy it
Old 12-07-2014, 05:15 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Damn why didn't I think of that!
I know I've been looking at the flow etc to and from the engine to ensure there is no interruption. But it's been done plenty before so just need to follow the porsche specs/pipe size and all will be good
Another shot of the tank it's a work of art!
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by evanscott964
Damn why didn't I think of that!
I know I've been looking at the flow etc to and from the engine to ensure there is no interruption. But it's been done plenty before so just need to follow the porsche specs/pipe size and all will be good
Another shot of the tank it's a work of art!
Looks like a bit of thought has gone into the design and nicely welded, care to share who made it for you?

I like the tall central mounted swirl pot with a decent sized breather. What are the baffles like inside, can you post up some pics of the internals?

I've designed a few carbon fibre oil tanks over the years, they can be a right pain in the a$$ to get working under high cornering loads.

Fingers crossed it works well so Rob and I can put your development and testing to good use on our cars
Old 12-09-2014, 03:33 AM
evanscott964
Instructor

The tank etc was made by AH Fabrications who were really great to deal with and very helpful. It's basically a standard tank of there's but with fittings to suit my/911 requirements.
Internal baffles are a vertical cross, pictures to follow, and they've tested it to 2/3G cornering without surge issues I believe.
So I'll be working on It tonight so I'll get some more shots hopefully and keep you posted!!
Simon
Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evanscott964
The tank etc was made by AH Fabrications who were really great to deal with and very helpful. It's basically a standard tank of there's but with fittings to suit my/911 requirements.
Internal baffles are a vertical cross, pictures to follow, and they've tested it to 2/3G cornering without surge issues I believe.
So I'll be working on It tonight so I'll get some more shots hopefully and keep you posted!!
Simon
It sure looks cool, does it end up weighting more than the original set up?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default subscribed

I am very interested subscribed.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperUser
It sure looks cool, does it end up weighting more than the original set up?
Good question. The 4 gallon Peterson tank (post #9), is listed at just under 10 lbs. 2-3 gallon Peterson systems were listed at 6-8 lbs.

The plumbing should end up being close to the same weight as the lines still travel in close to the same spot.

Oil weighs approx. 2 lbs a quart.

Even if you add a couple pounds, because the new tank is heavier or has more capacity, it's still weight that's moved forward. Guessing +30 lbs?
Plus, no worries about the pin-hole leaks I've heard about from the stock oil tanks.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Forgive the horrible photoshop job, but what about using the stock tank/oil thermo in the frunk?
The stock oil tank is thin, so maybe a minimal mount can be designed to sit in front of the stock gas tank, and the oil 964 oil cooler could be fabricated to lay right next to it.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

I would think the weight of the original system and the new system will be very similar, I will weigh the tanks to get a comparison. While I will probably gain in the use of lightweight hose I will lose in fittings especially the -16 items!
Captain here is a shot of the internal baffling

Hope you can see it!
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2014, 05:59 PM
evanscott964
Instructor

Well managed to get a little more done so here's a pic so far, there's so many ways to skin a cat as they say and I can't make my mind up!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Frunk mounted oil tank (ultimate design?)