Sponsored by:

Looking for OE radio for 964-93

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
thequietracer
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking for OE radio for 964-93

Unless there is a fix, replacement is needed. Mine has developed an intermittent audio from time to time and the power has always stayed on.
Spent quite a bit of time searching the caused/fix but unable to find any information.
If anyone has one to offer I am interested.
thank you.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Becker CR 210 for sale, it's the radio that came with my 1991 C2, but as far as I know, is not the original radio. If interested I can post some pictures.
$ 100.00 + shipping.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93964911c2cab
Unless there is a fix, replacement is needed. Mine has developed an intermittent audio from time to time and the power has always stayed on.
Spent quite a bit of time searching the caused/fix but unable to find any information.
If anyone has one to offer I am interested.
thank you.
is your car going to a museum? if not, you know stereos have gotten better, right?

anyway, here you go http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-964-...413879&vxp=mtr
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
is your car going to a museum? if not, you know stereos have gotten better, right?

anyway, here you go http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-964-...413879&vxp=mtr
x1000
Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
thequietracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crg53
I have a Becker CR 210 for sale, it's the radio that came with my 1991 C2, but as far as I know, is not the original radio. If interested I can post some pictures.
$ 100.00 + shipping.

I would like to see pictures. I think mine has two small amplifiers, so yours must have pre-outs for the amps, though I wonder If my amps are bad.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I really think a Becker CDR-220 from an early 996 or Boxster is the best compromise for a 964 replacement...much more "modern" in functionality and sound quality, but fits in nicely with the interior. I only listen to mine when stuck in traffic, or on a long trip, but it is certainly nice to have a decent radio.

Note that you do need to have the LCD on the CDR-220 changed by Becker if you want the viewing angle to be optimized for the 964.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93964911c2cab
I would like to see pictures. I think mine has two small amplifiers, so yours must have pre-outs for the amps, though I wonder If my amps are bad.
Here are a couple of shots of the radio. FYI I replaced this one with the Becker CDR 220 because of it's iPhone compatibility, but you need to spend close to $ 200.00 on cable and faceplate to make it work.
I just sold the CDR 220 and replaced it with a Blaupunkt Toronto BT 420 from Amazon.com, this radio does everything and is by far the best bang for your buck, unless you want the more period correct CR 210.
I am not trying to talk you out of buying this one, just giving you a heads up.

Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM
thequietracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crg53
Here are a couple of shots of the radio. FYI I replaced this one with the Becker CDR 220 because of it's iPhone compatibility, but you need to spend close to $ 200.00 on cable and faceplate to make it work.
I just sold the CDR 220 and replaced it with a Blaupunkt Toronto BT 420 from Amazon.com, this radio does everything and is by far the best bang for your buck, unless you want the more period correct CR 210.
I am not trying to talk you out of buying this one, just giving you a heads up.

Thank you for pictures and very nice looking unit. I don't think it will work with 964 series as mine have two sets of wires coming out directly from the back of the unit (not plugs) then connected to two small amplifiers. Wish it did.
I'll check with pellican parts.

Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 AM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwrm4
I really think a Becker CDR-220 from an early 996 or Boxster is the best compromise for a 964 replacement...much more "modern" in functionality and sound quality, but fits in nicely with the interior. I only listen to mine when stuck in traffic, or on a long trip, but it is certainly nice to have a decent radio.

Note that you do need to have the LCD on the CDR-220 changed by Becker if you want the viewing angle to be optimized for the 964.

+ 1. Looks like it was made for the car. Very please wth both the appearance and performance of mine. sw stereo can provide a wiring harness. As you've experienced, I beleive the older generation radios have some reliability issues.

Glad to further comment,
Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 AM
964WB
8th Gear

I thought the CD-2 , at least in the US, did not become available as OEM until the 993?

If I'm correct, if you want to concours the car a CR-1 is the way to go.

True, one can get better sound quality from other units.

But isn't the factory standard " 3.6L sound system" the real one to listen to?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM
thequietracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 964WB
I thought the CD-2 , at least in the US, did not become available as OEM until the 993?

If I'm correct, if you want to concours the car a CR-1 is the way to go.

True, one can get better sound quality from other units.

But isn't the factory standard " 3.6L sound system" the real one to listen to?
Actually I am not planning on using the car for any type of car show, but something to listen to and keeping the car stock with any Porsche OE radio that works, and while the CR1 originally came with 964, I would love the use yours, the CD-2 If it would work, but i am not sure how it will since there are no plugs on the back of it. If there are plugs and the unit has built in amplifier and able to hook up to existing speakers than I would definitely get it from you.
So do you have plugs and know if it has amplifier built in and will work with the 964?
Btw, I love to have CD rather than cassette. The car did have the CD changer but was removed when I bought the car.
When I had the 993 C2S and the 996, I had full blown after market system.
tks.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM
964WB
8th Gear

Try www.woodfins.com
or other parts "recyclers "
There are CR-1 radios out there, and if the rest of the OEM system is in place, should be plug and go.
BTW...the CD changer is a separate until mounted in the "Trunk." There are also used ones out there.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:57 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the CR-210 in my '90 C2 and I think it is the nicest Porsche unit for the vehicle. Not only is it a perfect aesthetic match, it was actually equipped in the 964 Speedster as original equipment so it can be argued that it is an accurate model match. Besides having the period correct cassette player the other big plus is that you can find a matching Porsche CD player (CDC-3) that installs in the trunk and provides excellent audio with very rare skips.

I did try the CR-220 in my car because it has an AUX IN, but the display is just not decipherable from the drivers seat (I know there is supposed to be an optional faceplate available with a different polarization angle but it was just too much trouble). Also don't think it looks as good as the CR210.

As part of the audio upgrade I also added an Alpine amp under the passenger seat and upgraded the speakers to MB-Quart 6" in the doors and Alpine ovals on the rear deck.

The whole thing looks totally stock but the sound is very good (for those rare times when recorded music is preferred to the symphony of the flat-six!). Some pictures attached.

Cheers!

Jim G.
Attached Images    
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
thequietracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C24FUN
I have the CR-210 in my '90 C2 and I think it is the nicest Porsche unit for the vehicle. Not only is it a perfect aesthetic match, it was actually equipped in the 964 Speedster as original equipment so it can be argued that it is an accurate model match. Besides having the period correct cassette player the other big plus is that you can find a matching Porsche CD player (CDC-3) that installs in the trunk and provides excellent audio with very rare skips.

I did try the CR-220 in my car because it has an AUX IN, but the display is just not decipherable from the drivers seat (I know there is supposed to be an optional faceplate available with a different polarization angle but it was just too much trouble). Also don't think it looks as good as the CR210.

As part of the audio upgrade I also added an Alpine amp under the passenger seat and upgraded the speakers to MB-Quart 6" in the doors and Alpine ovals on the rear deck.

The whole thing looks totally stock but the sound is very good (for those rare times when recorded music is preferred to the symphony of the flat-six!). Some pictures attached.

Cheers!

Jim G.
So the Alpine was able to plug directly into the CR210?
Do you have to get Porsche plug to RCA in order for it to plug to the Alpine?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

You can get all the parts, i.e. plugs , connecting cables, you may need from HERE No affiliation ..........
Very helpful and easy to deal with.

Quick Reply: Looking for OE radio for 964-93