Sponsored by:

Cigarette Lighter Socket Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter Socket Power

Can anyone tell me if the power to the cigarette lighter socket is on its own fuse or fused with other devices?

I have no power on mine, but there doesn't appear to be anything else not working.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default visual check?

I had a problem with mine and the wire had come off the spade connected to the post on the back of the receptacle. It is a pain to get to....like trying to get the glove box door latch light working. Which is how I found the wire unplugged. It is a pain to get back right, if you have big hands.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Check schematic under front fuse box lid.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Is there a procedure or thread documenting the best way to access the cig lighter wires? I'd like to tap into the cig lighter to hardwire my V1 and/or AFR gauge.

Thanks!

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r15suk
Can anyone tell me if the power to the cigarette lighter socket is on its own fuse or fused with other devices?

I have no power on mine, but there doesn't appear to be anything else not working.

Cheers
Simon
Do you mean no power at any time? On the early cars it only has power with the ignition on.

BTW does anyone know how to remove it from the dash?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I got to mine quite easily by removing the cubby which is held in with a few screws on front and a metal strap at back. Remove passenger seat, lie down comfortably, get out the torch and you'll see it all. Will check if I have any pics. I think it might be easier to remove radio too but IIRC you can reach/loosen/remove the wires and the cig lighter without doing so.
Attached Images  

Last edited by HiWind; 02-02-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM
r15suk
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Do you mean no power at any time? On the early cars it only has power with the ignition on.
Yep no power anytime.

cheers
Simon
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Finally got round to looking at fixing my cig lighter. Thanks to HiWind I got access to the back of it. I found that I needed to remove the lower dash to access those screws to remove the glove box. Getting the lower dash off was a head scratcher until I found that removing the air vent was the only way to access one of the nuts that secures it.

I resolved the issue of the cig lighter body being loose by bending the tabs that secure it. I then resolved the problem of power plugs falling out by bending the copper contact tabs so that they would grip anything that was pushed in to the socket.

While in the process of fiddling with the socket I found that that socket could easily be pulled clean out, detaching the two spade connectors in the process. So for r15suk, it could be that this has happened to yours and they are simply not making contact at the back now?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
r15suk
Instructor

While in the process of fiddling with the socket I found that that socket could easily be pulled clean out, detaching the two spade connectors in the process. So for r15suk, it could be that this has happened to yours and they are simply not making contact at the back now?
Do you mean that you could have just pulled it out from the front?

Cheers
Simon
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Yes mate. However, if you do that you can't push it back onto the spade connectors without holding them from behind. So my guess is that someone may have pulled it out in the past and that's why it might no longer be connected?

I took a photo of what it looks like from behind. I'll post it up for you when I get home tonight.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Yes mate. However, if you do that you can't push it back onto the spade connectors without holding them from behind. So my guess is that someone may have pulled it out in the past and that's why it might no longer be connected?

I took a photo of what it looks like from behind. I'll post it up for you when I get home tonight.
Thanks that will be useful. I guess you could make extension leads quite easily though with 4 crimps and some wire? Probably quicker than dismantling half the car to get access

Cheers
Simon
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Here's the pic:

The pink and brown wires plug into the two spades on the rear of the cig lighter body and provide the live and earth. The black block at the bottom just butts up against the back of the body (it has no physical connection to it and I can't tell you what it's there for!).

So, if you bend the two tabs on the inside of the cig lighter body inwards, you can pull the body out. The two spade connectors will pop off because that black block stops them from being pulled through.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Here's the pic:

The pink and brown wires plug into the two spades on the rear of the cig lighter body and provide the live and earth. The black block at the bottom just butts up against the back of the body (it has no physical connection to it and I can't tell you what it's there for!).

So, if you bend the two tabs on the inside of the cig lighter body inwards, you can pull the body out. The two spade connectors will pop off because that black block stops them from being pulled through.
Right i'll have a go at that at the weekend :-)

Cheers for the info.
simon

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Socket Power