Sponsored by:

Introduction...Finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Big Raff
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Introduction...Finally

I have been a member for a while but never got round to putting up any introduction to the car or plans, just a picture here and there. I thought it time to introduce properly, with a little history as well...why not eh?

So in 2010 i decided that i need to get a car that is a little more grown up than what i was using at the time, a Civic Type R. I had fun in it and did many track days, 9 points for speeding, modifications etc...but I thought the time had come to move up a gear so to speak and started looking at replacements. It was a either an E46 M3, Pre 89 911 or a 964.

Type R, for ****s n giggles

So the search was on, and i tested a few M3's which i liked. I had a friend working in BMW servicing who was giving me the heads up on which car (i was looking at) was a sound one and they were coming up few and far between. Then came a gorgeous black '89 SuperSport Cabrio for sale at Eclectic Cars (if my memory serves well) which only had 57k miles on the clock, and was listed at £24k. I think that would have been a good deal (maybe even a bargain) looking at some of the prices now for those. In any case i missed out on that, thinking it was too much money (i know i know) so i started looking at 964's. My father had one when i was growing up and he maintains that from 1994 - 1999 he had no problems with it at all, and it was his daily driver. A midnight blue C2 tip, and it was gorgeous. So he had a soft spot for them as did I so the search was on.

I then stumbled on what i can only say was a rather sorry looking 964 (in the pictures anyway). A blue 1993 C4 Cab advertised at a fairly low price of £14k and with only 56k miles on the clock, MO30 suspension and Original Cup 1's. So I went to have a look with the old man...and take it for a test drive. This is where i am a little stupid, because i loved it...and put a deposit down. No checks, no internet info finding, no Rennlist, no knowledge of the car other than i had been in one growing up. I collected a week later from the chap, who had 3 other racing porsches in his garage, he was a good guy and the price reflected the cars condition. Did i care?? Not one bit! I was a 27 year old with a Porsche...a 911 at that! The first day i didn't leave the car at all...it was a sunny day and the roof was down. Forget the fact that on the over-run smoke was billowing into the cockpit, and that the interior was falling apart, and the aftermarket radio was complete crap, and and and i was in my very own 911. Its strange how when you really want something you become blinkered. Anybody with a single brain cell would have walked away from this car, even at the price i paid.

Moving on into summer 2010, the smoke was becoming a bit of a joke, i didn't mind but it was effecting the coolness of the car. Not sure why the engine was puffing smoke especially after the initial service and engine checks I did at JZM showed that the valves were at the wear of a normal city living car at that mileage and running ok, Oh well...summer was a good one

In November 2010 i got in touch with 9M with regards to a rebuild. I gave them a spec, they came back with a list which would create basically a completely new car...well out of my budget!! We did in the end came across a very good middle ground. So the car went up to them, and for 6 months it stayed there...partially due to late delivery of parts, partially due to the work load up there but also due to what we were going to do. So a whole heap of cash later, what i got back was a completely different beast.

So a small list of goodies on top of the complete rebuild

964 RS Flywheel
964 RS Clutch
993 Headers
993 Drain tubes
993 RS Camshaft 1-3
New engine hosing and air filter
New brake lines
Re-sealed gearbox
Powerflex 993 wishbone brush
964 fuel pump and DME relay
G-Pipe

There are more items, but these are the stand out ones...For the interior a refurbished set of clocks, steering wheel, and gear stick

Now we were talking...In March 2011 we had lift off and some decent power! The clutch really makes a difference and the extra power through the mid range is brilliant, it really pulls in all the gears! Shortly after collection the car had developed a problem of stalling upon start up but i thought nothing of it. Then there was a larger situation where on the M40 motorway on a trip up North. All of sudden heard a 'thud' followed by a flapping sound...i had no brakes...and i was doing 70 in busy traffic. So....slowly fished my way across to the hard shoulder and used the engine braking to slow down. I was majorly pissed off as a) I had just spent a fortune on getting it tip top before this happened and b) it was the Saturday of the last set of championship football matches...so the motorway was filled with coaches of football fans...all reminding me that i was a to$$er...perhaps they knew i didn't do all the necessary checks before purchase

In any case i had a chat with 9M and they came and collected the car to check it over (i am based in London). they examined the damage and said it looked like something had hit one of the hoses...i don't know how common this is but took their word for it and the brakes were repaired, as was the ignition situation. They delivered the car back, and it hasn't missed a beat on the mechanical side since. I did have a picture of it on the side of the road but can't find it, but i am sure some of you can picture it

Other work includes new electronics for the spoiler and hood at JAZ as well as a complete overhaul of sound system at Auto Audio and re-connolised the leather. I have had the car on the market a few times but as with anything i am not in a rush to say goodbye. Still need/want is a new hood (as my previous posts point to) and perhaps some new 3 piece summer wheels

I always have things i would like to do to the car to improve it, even though i will never ever see the return on the kind of money spent. And looking back i have made a financial howler of a decision, and i will be honest it hasn't always been a happy relationship when after 4/5 weeks of no use the battery is flat, and the attempted break-ins i have had (garaged now), but when we are both in the right mood we are having a seriously great time and that is for me all that counts. It will keep up with all modern exotica up to the national speed limit and it will turn more heads than most while cruising (partly due to the air cooled awesomeness of a sound).

There are things i have missed out i am sure, but thank you for sticking with me for the duration! Here are some pictures as a reward!

One of the rare sunny days

Obvious hood problems ruining the feel, with its fades and rips

Interior shot of old looking new Becker system, Ipod, Sat Nav etc...but in keeping with the look of an early 90's 911

Leather gleaming in the sun...looking at it, this car should be in Miami

A fun day out, getting my racing test done

Keeping in good company at Goodwood, though not as popular as the 4.0...strange that

Thanks again for sticking with me, I hope to be involved more than just a poster at some point at a London meet or at ACE. Car is under covers at the minute, as the hood isn't great when it comes to snow, or rain, or well any kind of dampness to be honest so the interior suffers as a result, but will be on the road very soon!

Cheers

Raff
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM
PaulW_964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good one Raff, looks like you've had some fun along the way, but she looks well worth it
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post cheers,
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome to 964 ownership! And a great story. Look forward to hear more about what other things you change or update.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Gorgeous color!! Great looking car man!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Defiant
Instructor

Great looking car and nice story. Thanks for posting!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Derek Pedersen
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts

Great looking car. What model Becker did you install?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by utah914
+1 on both counts
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Ooh I want that Becker. It's a good all round unit.
You missed out on the M3 though. Had one before my 964. Brilliant car but ill always be in a 911 now.
Colour is good though. Get some clear indicators and you're sorted
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome! Wouldn't be sold on the color at first, but I like it a lot!

What is the model of the Becker radio? Looks very nice in there!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Beautiful car! I love the color, is it Horizon Blue?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not normally a cabrio lover but that looks stunning in that colour & the stance is spot on....and I like the type r.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

You should have a look at the renovo products for your soft top I used it on a blue roof on my old 3.2 with excellent results. You just paint it on

http://www.renovointernational.com/
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Big Raff
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the comments,

Originally Posted by utah914
It's the Becker Cascade (don't know the code number but can find out). It is a solid unit, and i like the way it blends into the rest of the dash, it almost looks chunky on purpose. The ipod wire is in the dash with all the track listing and controls on the head unit, and the sat nav is good even on the little screen.

Originally Posted by Lemass Automotive
Ooh I want that Becker. It's a good all round unit.
You missed out on the M3 though. Had one before my 964. Brilliant car but ill always be in a 911 now.
Colour is good though. Get some clear indicators and you're sorted
Sometimes i feel as though i missed out on the M3 as well. You know i was thinking about going clear on the indicators but i cant get away from the orange...i think it breaks up the colour (Horizon Blue) really nicely.

Another poster has his Hood being replaced shortly for what seems a very reasonable price £1k + VAT and i have been quoted recently £2k + Vat so will see how his turns out then get that sorted...then will check out the products available to protect it...in the mean time, thanks for the link to the Revo products, will investigate!

Thanks again for the warm welcome

Raff
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a real writing talent. amazingly your story kept my interest and i actually read the whole thing. do you write professionally?

Quick Reply: Introduction...Finally