Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size and make of front brake disc do you run?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grant, do you really think your 964 is under-braked? When I've been in with you, I've certainly never thought that the brakes were a weak point. I can see why folk fit alcons, AP, etc to bigger power (and often heavier) cars but surely a 964 with moderate power increase (I think yours is 325 bhp?) doesn't need those extreme brake upgrades? Do you think you can get quicker lap times from later braking? Some of the pro drivers I've chatted to have told me it's not how late you brake but how little you brake that makes a faster lap time.

Seeing as you're going to settle on just fitting new rotors for now, why not go for the ultimate pad at the same time - the Pagid RS29? The price is a bit eye-watering but not as wallet emptying as some of the rotor upgrades you've been thinking about.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
THIS, is a great idea.

A bit overwhellming at first, given all the data available, but after a bit, even the simple stuff, comparative laps and sections, come through.

One finds time everywhere. Making it on the track is a different story, but one KNOWS where to look for it after sorting through the data.

You may certainly post and brag after you run five laps in a row within 2 tenths of a second of each other.
Hi Kai, that's just what I've been told and expect. It's that consistency that I'm looking for.......goodness knows I haven't got it at present

I look forward to one day (some way off fromnow I fear) of bragging about those 5 laps! If I do, you're on for a

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Grant, do you really think your 964 is under-braked? When I've been in with you, I've certainly never thought that the brakes were a weak point. I can see why folk fit alcons, AP, etc to bigger power (and often heavier) cars but surely a 964 with moderate power increase (I think yours is 325 bhp?) doesn't need those extreme brake upgrades? Do you think you can get quicker lap times from later braking? Some of the pro drivers I've chatted to have told me it's not how late you brake but how little you brake that makes a faster lap time.
Thanks Boxsey, your comment leads on nicely from Kai's....it's not later braking I'm after, the racers are right. I'm after certainty and consistency. Obviously everything has to be a balance, too much brake and I never get the temps required, etc, etc...which is why first step is to go for data and then use that to guide development.

Seeing as you're going to settle on just fitting new rotors for now, why not go for the ultimate pad at the same time - the Pagid RS29? The price is a bit eye-watering but not as wallet emptying as some of the rotor upgrades you've been thinking about.
The rotor upgrades are only on hold whilst I save for the suspension upgrade (which'll probably involve re-springing at first, but if the dampers don't hold out (I mean work within their optimum range), then it's to new dampers too.....and the main change will be to 993RS uprights). At present, so I'm informed, the offset I currently have means buying 2-piece rotors to fit my car (at present) will need new 'hats' in the future....and besides, maybe the data shows I've a long way to go (as I suspect) from getting the best from my current setup.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The right data logger should certainly provide you with the information you're looking for. Oldtimer got one for the first time last year. After entering his car details into the program, it came up with a best possible lap time of 1.17 for Donington National in his car. Recent best quali times for a 964C2 race car (PCGB championship) round there have been around 1.18 which says to me that predictive program is pretty accurate.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if taxes or importing may get in the way, but if possible, I highly recommend Peter Krause (our own "Pro Coach" RL'er, should you PM him) as a source for data logging.

Ask him for my set up - it's basic and very good. Simple Traqmate unit with a small dash, but it's all I need for quite some time to come.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

I don't know if taxes or importing may get in the way, but if possible, I highly recommend Peter Krause (our own "Pro Coach" RL'er, should you PM him) as a source for data logging.

Ask him for my set up - it's basic and very good. Simple Traqmate unit with a small dash, but it's all I need for quite some time to come.
Thanks Kai.

I've had a data logger recommended by a mate, just awaiting further details, inc price. As this is all new to me I'll look into the Traqmate, if it's good enough for you it'll be plenty for me!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

+1 for Traqmate. I have had mine a few years now and really like it. The software is easy to use and the unit easy to set up and very versatile. The head unit also doubles as a useful backlit digital speedo (great if you have a lhd and want MPH on the road) Their forum has a share and compare facilty. If you want to see what it like , download the software (it's free i think) and go and have a look on the share and compare part of the traqmate website. Look up Brands Hatch, i have put a few laps of mine on there.
the unit was fairly competitively priced when i bought mine, might have changed since then with the dollar to the pound.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
+1 for Traqmate. I have had mine a few years now and really like it. The software is easy to use and the unit easy to set up and very versatile. The head unit also doubles as a useful backlit digital speedo (great if you have a lhd and want MPH on the road) Their forum has a share and compare facilty. If you want to see what it like , download the software (it's free i think) and go and have a look on the share and compare part of the traqmate website. Look up Brands Hatch, i have put a few laps of mine on there.
the unit was fairly competitively priced when i bought mine, might have changed since then with the dollar to the pound.
Thanks for that, I'll do as recommended and let you know....
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM
KaiB
Banned

Here's what mine looks like.

The sending unit is mounted forward on the tunnel while the display is centered on the lower dash. A small GPS antenna is mounted on the cowl. I also run a dual picture-in-picture ChaseCam system which is linked to the Traqmate for automatic operation.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Defiant
Instructor

+1 on the data logger. I have one of these and love it. The display is REALLY easy to read and I like the predictive timer feature. The 10hz GPS is super accurate and easy to place on the outside of the car. You can also use it to hook to any sensors you may add later as well. The software on the PC is very good. It's got a feature to turn on and off a GOPro but I haven't tried that yet.

http://rlcracing.com/track-commander-auto.htm
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Here's what mine looks like.

The sending unit is mounted forward on the tunnel while the display is centered on the lower dash. A small GPS antenna is mounted on the cowl. I also run a dual picture-in-picture ChaseCam system which is linked to the Traqmate for automatic operation.

Originally Posted by Defiant
+1 on the data logger. I have one of these and love it. The display is REALLY easy to read and I like the predictive timer feature. The 10hz GPS is super accurate and easy to place on the outside of the car. You can also use it to hook to any sensors you may add later as well. The software on the PC is very good. It's got a feature to turn on and off a GOPro but I haven't tried that yet.

http://rlcracing.com/track-commander-auto.htm
Stop it, my wife won't thank you for these helpful comments....not that I'm gonna tell her, it's just how do I explain the boxes!?!?!?!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Stop it, my wife won't thank you for these helpful comments....not that I'm gonna tell her, it's just how do I explain the boxes!?!?!?!
How do you explain the lack of carpet, the full race seat, six-point harnesses and the welded in cage...that will all come someday and you know it!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Also check out Solo or Solo DL - Steve Lake at Aim uk stocks em - quite a few threads on drivers Ed forum.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

I have mine velcro'ed to my rev counter for easy reading and easy operation. I have my dcu in the same place as Kai's . I put my GPS antenna through the dash and it sits on top of the dash (same position as later cars with PCM). It seems to work ok there with no problems locking onto satellites. when i get a chance i will post some pics. One day i will connect up the RPM sensors and sync up a go pro or similar.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HiWind
Also check out Solo or Solo DL - Steve Lake at Aim uk stocks em - quite a few threads on drivers Ed forum.
Will do, thanks for another option.....I fear for my credit card (once it has recovered from Xmas!)

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
I have mine velcro'ed to my rev counter for easy reading and easy operation. I have my dcu in the same place as Kai's . I put my GPS antenna through the dash and it sits on top of the dash (same position as later cars with PCM). It seems to work ok there with no problems locking onto satellites. when i get a chance i will post some pics. One day i will connect up the RPM sensors and sync up a go pro or similar.
I like the velcro option as ideally I'd wanna interchange with the Westy.

Love the idea of controlling, and overlaying with, vid from my GoPros.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
KaiB
Banned

My display is also velcroed onto the dash...

Heck, the entire car is velcro and zip strips!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What size and make of front brake disc do you run?