Sponsored by:

oily residue question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 AM
napaul
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oily residue question

hello gents i was wondering if any of you have experienced oily residue on the hydraulic pump cover and carpet edging in front trunk/frunk on a c4 during storage. i live in a northern climate and car has been stored in my unheated garage over the winter so far and today when i went to hook up a battery maintainer i found what appeared to be an oily residue on the plastic cover and leather trim of the trunk carpet.i know i don't get this in summer so is it cause of the cooler temps? i've tried looking for brake fluid leaks but all hoses and fittings and brake fluid reservoir are dry
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Is your battery vent hose attached? Could that be residue from your battery? If it is, its acid and you should neutralize it with baking soda.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 AM
napaul
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never thought of that I replaced the battery with a new intersate.do all batteries require or have somewhere to hook up the vent hose?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

All of the batteries that I've purchased seem to have a vent hook up but that may not be true for all brands. I've mostly been buying Sears Diehards.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The vent on the interstate 48/H6 is on the positive side just beneath the recycle symbol. You may have to run your own tube if one was not included. I ran it down through a rubber plug in the pan, after replacing my damaged A/C cooler ballast (original porsche location of hose).

Quick Reply: oily residue question