Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argh! Death to all mice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the liquid coming out of his mouth?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sml
what is the liquid coming out of his mouth?
acid reflux shot it with a pellet gun.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 PM
mada1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your post made me go check on my 964.
i just started storing it in my lower garage for the first time. guess what...i found mouse droppings on it and moved back up back up the the upper garage until i deal with the problem. man they are so disgusting.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dudes, be aware that mice like to set up camp inside the engine cooling covers, on top of the cylinders. They get in past the fan blades and find a lovely cave inside to bring in all sorts of nesting and stuffing. When you run your car you end up with roast mice, but worse it blocks the cooling efficiency to one or more cylinders, and you can do some real damage.

Milwaukee and others make a probe camera, ~$200 and its well worth it to check those areas out visually if you suspect mice. It's bad news for your engine if they set up camp in there. Christmas gift? Well worth it for the peace of mind IMHO.

Just my $.02...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

My 964 had a horrible smell coming from my heat ducts, turns out a mouse got in thru air intake opening and died inside.........
Local shop blew it all out!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Dudes, be aware that mice like to set up camp inside the engine cooling covers, on top of the cylinders. They get in past the fan blades and find a lovely cave inside to bring in all sorts of nesting and stuffing. When you run your car you end up with roast mice, but worse it blocks the cooling efficiency to one or more cylinders, and you can do some real damage.
So true. My friend was in for some engine work and the shop located nesting material and dog food on his back cylinder. It was not allowing any air to pass over this cylinder. Do not store your dog food in the garage....
Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM
RayB_911
Instructor

Since I have had boats, I have put fabric softener sheets throughout the boat each winter to keep animals away without smelling bad. I tuck them around wires as well. A box of 40 sheets goes a long way. The key is to find them all in the Spring.

Anyway, I did the same with my Porsche. This is my first winter with it, but based on success I have had with boat in the middle of woods, I am confident a heated garage with a floor should be safe. I hope.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM
ChrisD
Instructor

Had some mice nest in mine; buggered up the electronics so the car wouldn't start. Took ages to trace it to a bad earth wire, which once replaced the car was fine. Mice
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 AM
964TOK
Racer

I heard before of early 911 owners using Bounce (fabric softner that u put in your tumble dryer)

Mice apparently hate the odor of it.

A quick search I am not going mad!

'Bounce fabric softener sheets
Although it may sound like the ideal stuff for mice to use in nest, apparently mice abhor the scent of Bounce fabric softener sheets. To use these to get rid of mice, just tuck the a few of the fabric softener sheets into crevices where mice are likely to enter the house and in food storage areas.'

http://voices.yahoo.com/cheap-easy-w...ly-623594.html
Old 12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

No more mice in my traps, so either it was one rogue mouse or they are sneaky buggers. I am armed with mothballs, on newsboy's recommendation and the fact that the hardware store guy said that pretty much any pest hates mothballs. Apparently they work a treat when dropped down mole holes; a bonus as we are also at war with them in the garden. Thought we had won that war until a new hill popped up yesterday. Seems that we are at war with nature
Old 12-20-2012, 03:43 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I use slices of Irish Spring soap scattered around inside my cars and boxes of shtuff stored in the garage to deter the mice. I read about it some time ago, and is likely the same mechanism as the fabric softener sheets. I truly believe it works. Also, I use the Irish Spring soap to help prevent deer from eating my tasty shrubbery. (a few thousand acres of woods around me, and they dine at the buffet in my yard).
I don't like using rat poison and traps - because the little buggers die somewhere and then generate that awful smell. YMMV
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM
jed-s
3rd Gear

When I picked up my 964 the first job I did was to clear out the mouse home tucked away behind the airbox. This revealed that the little perishers had chewed through an alarm switch lead, so that had to be sorted.

As much as I prefer traps, I've found that the Big Cheese poison works very well. Only issue there is where do they go to die? It was much easier when my moggie was around, mice kept a wide berth of my house.

Quick Reply: Argh! Death to all mice!