Lost power no throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
klasmartin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost power no throttle response

Hello All,

Have had an intermittent problem on my '90 C2 where I'll be driving along and suddenly lose power and no throttle response. RPM's tend to stay around 400-500RPM when it happens.

It hasn't occurred often but tonight while driving home on the highway cruising at around 80KPH lost power and had to pull on the shoulder. Sat there for a while trying to coerce her to run with no luck and finally engine quit. Attempted to restart a few times to no avail so popped the boot and disconnected battery for about 10 minutes. Pretended to look at the engine while the transport department people who saw me on traffic cameras threatened to two me to a safer place (at my cost). Reconnected battery and voila, started right up and drove away.

Of course, about 30km later when I was on a much less breakdown friendly road it happened again and this time car stalled mid apex on a single lane country road. Switched ignition off and attempted a couple restarts and got her going again and back home.

After a few searches on here have found similar symptoms with suggestions for oxygen sensor replacement / disconnect, ignition wire replacements, and gas pedal circuit board problem (?).

It seems to me that it could be a fuel delivery problem or spark problem (narrows it down right?) but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm leaning more towards fuel problem as I'm not sure ignition lead problems would be as intermittent as this (last time it happened was about 6 months ago). Maybe a failing fuel pump or contamination at pump inlet?

Don't imagine its related but when first starting car before the problem occurred (i.e. about 20km before first power loss), the ABS light went out as it should. The ABS light has been constantly on for a couple of months now where previously it was intermittently staying on.

Things to note:

alternator replaced within the last year and charging ~13.8V
almost ran out fuel last week
fuel pressure regulator recently replaced and cured a hot engine starting problem
fuel filter replaced 6 months ago
running EVO cone filter air intake
Dizzy belt fine (don't imagine a broken belt would be intermittent)

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin
Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I just had a similar problem, I guess the first thing to check is the DME.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM
klasmartin
Track Day

Hi Daryl, thanks for the reply. Do you mean the DME itself or the relay? I do carry a spare relay but didn't change it.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

DME relay. Mine used to do this regularly until I did some reading here and sussed out the problem. Small waggle on the existing relay and it will probably burst back into life. Until it dies again when you're just overtaking a queue of artics...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM
speedmind
8th Gear

Hi Martin,
DME relay and Fuel Pump are common problem for this kind of symptoms.
Try to replace DME relay first...

I do not think your ignition wires have problem at all!

Cheers,
Stephen Ko
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HK964turbolook
Hi Daryl, thanks for the reply. Do you mean the DME itself or the relay? I do carry a spare relay but didn't change it.
Sorry, yes the relay
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

I had Same issues when O2 Sensor failed. Unplug it and drive if it's gone...

Quick Reply: Lost power no throttle response