Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking noise after coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking noise after coilovers...

I'm getting some squeaking noise both front and rear when negotiating speed bumps or ramps especially when going at an angle to avoid scrapes. This I noticed after getting KW V3s installed. Mind you I didn't change the front strut mounts as they looked to be in good condition when installed. No noticeable play or anything on the bearing. I did, however, change out the front sway endlinks as well as got the Walrod front control arm bushings installed.

Any common suspects for this? Would it be the chassis due to a much stiffer ride? Again, I didn't notice these when I had the stock suspension on. Car had ~70K miles when the coilovers we're put in. Geo has been done using Euro RS height and specs.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Walrod grease?

When your shop did the Walrod bushings, did they use the grease as directed? Are your "new" sway bar bushings OE rubber, or are they poly also? That is a second source of squeaks.. I think that the noise is especially noticeable after crossing a speed bump diagonally points to the sway bar bushings. That is when the sway bars are in their greatest potential deflection and stress. Ask your shop if they used the supplied grease. It makes a world of difference.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
sc
Racer

I ordered the Walrods directly from Chris and there was no grease or directions in there just bushings. I'll check with the shop to see if they added grease. The swaybar bushings we're left untouched and still stock OEM rubber. The endlinks we're the ones replaced. Also as I mentioned the squeaks are also happening on the rear end and the only parts replaced there are just struts and springs.

Appreciate the tips at least I can start looking in those areas first. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Walrod bushings came with a very specific and unusual snotty grease. That's probably your issue.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I have Chris's bushing also and my 964 is squeak free.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After replacing my shocks/springs, I had the slightest squeak coming from the right front. My mechanic suggested tightening the top nut just a little (I doubt it was as much as a quarter turn). Squeak went away.

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise after coilovers...