Sponsored by:

Tokyo 964 spotting !

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 PM
oldtimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokyo 964 spotting !

Apologies to PCGB forum readers who may have already seen these jet-lagged musings .....but thought I`d share with the bigger community

Been here in Tokyo for 5 days now visiting my son who lives in Setagaya-ku . There is a Porsche dealership further down the main avenue here, so you see more Porsches than you would in the city hotspots like Roppongi where the rich kids hang out

In amongst the usual upmarket mix of Cayenne , Panamera and 997/991 Carreras , I spotted a 964 Turbo and next day a 964C4 , both were slate grey , both were heard before they were seen

I think that cup pipes and J pipes must be popular here......

Had dinner with a small group of early 911 enthusiasts , their pre-74 cars are referred to as "narrow bodies" here , they said that Porsche buyers of 964 want 4wd and LHD , there is a definite snob factor of wanting to stand out and in having the classic vertical headlight / straight wing look of the 1963-1993 911 models .

I told them that 964C2 were now much more appreciated in UK than say 5 years back......I was very happy to own both an early 911 and a 964.... the 964 being significant as maybe the last of the truly engineer driven projects before the bean counters got going
Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to live in Tokyo and bought my first 964 in 2003 while there (and joined Rennlist, hence user name 964TOK!).

Yep, loads of 964's in Japan and most as u say are LHD (even though its a RHD market). Condition of cars in 'generally' better than the UK as dryer climate and maintained well.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Glad to hear your having a good time in Japan John.

Tokyo is so vibrant and plenty of money out there, especially the young guys with there wide range of very nice cars from old to new.

I used to go to Takamasu a lot situated in Osaka a more industrial center of Japan where most of the cars went out of the country especially most of the 964 Porsches to Europe But still there still remains a fair few old Porsches even RSs.

Derek am sure will tell you has bought a few bargains whilst working there!

Any pictures John?

Norm
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM
RSGulp
Racer

I feel we're 'crossing streams' here! Is there a market for LHD Porsches in Japan? I always believed there were not allowed to import LHD? I guess there's a potential lucrative market for a Butzi-signed LHD yet? :-)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSGulp
I feel we're 'crossing streams' here! Is there a market for LHD Porsches in Japan? I always believed there were not allowed to import LHD? I guess there's a potential lucrative market for a Butzi-signed LHD yet? :-)
Yes, it's quite common for european cars in Japan to be ordered as LHD. I think it's part of the novelty of owning a foreign car

http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/PORSC...1/summary.html
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM
oldtimer
Racer

No pictures I` m afraid , Norm . It was all I could manage to decode the Kanji screen prompts on the hotel computer so that I could post anything

I`m not sure about the economics of importing or exporting Porsches to Japan , would imagine there is an import tax on foreign cars to protect local manufacture . If I lived here ( would have to be in another life) then I would definitely have a Japanese wife and a brace of old Porsche , 356 + 911
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RSGulp
Rich your crossing streams alright! Hong Kong your not allowed to register LHD cars.

Talking about spotting, I spotted a nice 964 in San Francisco few weeks ago, may start a thread. Thanks John!

Sorry to jump your thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post10045214

Last edited by Nski; 12-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oldtimer
No pictures I` m afraid , Norm . It was all I could manage to decode the Kanji screen prompts on the hotel computer so that I could post anything

I`m not sure about the economics of importing or exporting Porsches to Japan , would imagine there is an import tax on foreign cars to protect local manufacture . If I lived here ( would have to be in another life) then I would definitely have a Japanese wife and a brace of old Porsche , 356 + 911
Oh well John, its a nice thought though! Japanese wife and a brace of old Porsches!

Quick Reply: Tokyo 964 spotting !