Sponsored by:

Top Controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM
deykamp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Controller

Where under the dash is the convertible top controller?
I am delving into my convertible top issues...
Old 11-24-2012, 03:34 PM
hamah
Pro

What are your issues? The wiring diagrams in Volume 7 of the manual is the best reference for you. In my MY91 C2 Cab the controller is shown to be under the dash on the drivers side (RHD or LHD).
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
deykamp
Intermediate

I have a '91 C2 CAB also.

I replaced the latching motors w/ REBUILDs from Vertex and put the top up/down about 20-30 times.
I got in it yesterday to let my brother drive it and when I put the top down it stopped at about 5-6 different positions going up and down. Two times right before it latches. I had a hard time getting the momentum up to get it to latch (the idiot light to turn off) and now I don't want to touch it.

It stops at the same (5-6) locations consistently when closing and opening.
I was hoping someone had the same issues so I did not have to re-invent the wheel.

I have the manual and the wiring diagrams, but I can't find the wiring diagram binder.
I don't know the size of the controller, but I would assume its a "box" and its not visible from the drivers side...

I may have pinched some wiring when replacing the motors and I also did some interior work (screws on the interior), but this issue started about one month after the repairs were performed.

Thanks for the reply.
Dale
Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Kuchar
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem a few years ago.
I am not sure, but probably i replaced top relay.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM
deykamp
Intermediate

The convertible top does not have a relay unless it is using R21 (Sunroof) which is a bridge adapter that makes a connection, but is not really a relay. It does exist in my vehicle, but I would think failure of this relay would prevent the top from operating. Thank you for the reply. I'm trying to physically locate the top controller.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 PM
hamah
Pro

Check out PET illustration 902-00 page 2 shows p/n 911.618.313.01 as "control unit for convertible top". Interestingly this illustration pertains to the fuse/relay box in the frunk. Maybe this controller is located not under the dash but in, or near, this box? (I still think it is under the dash myself)

A search on the above part number led me to this diagram but I'm not sure where this would be located. Pelican shows the part as NLA although ECU Dr. says they can sell you one for $175 + $200 for core deposit . They also have a picture so you should be able to find the controller as it has a very distinctive shape.

Kucher, you replaced 964.610.184.00 per this thread which is a relay used for a few different purposes depending on model/year. I think that it is in fact the relay in R21 and based on further searches it has been referred to as "Cabrio Hood Relay". It would not hurt to clean or replace this relay (why would we have a relay for a sunroof in a cab anyway?).

Good luck and let us know where you do find it.

Last edited by hamah; 11-24-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Check here under 'Generic' for info on cab top problems: http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 PM
deykamp
Intermediate

Thank you for all the information.
The controller for the the '91 C2 CAB is under the dash above your left knee.
I would have to take the seat out to do any diagnostic or troubleshooting on that unit.
I'll just assume its up there w/o dislocating my back.

I believe the TSB tells you to upgrade to the newer unit, 993-618-313-00.

I checked/cleaned/re-inserted the #13 fuse.
Cleaned/reinserted the R21 relay (Bridge Connector)
Pulled the parking brake up and down a few times.
Made sure the transmission was in park.
WD-40'd the convertible top switch.
Held my mouth in just the right position.
Opens and closes like dream.

Did I fix the problem?
Probably not. My bet would be a cold solder joint/loose connection on the controller.

One thing to add that helped me a few years ago from a fine gentleman.
Sometimes jiggling/checking the sensors on the main motors (behind the rear speaker panels) will allow you to open and close the top when it will not open. Worked for me at the time and kept working until I had to replace the latching motors.

Again, thank you for spending a little time with me and helping me with my quest.
http://www.systemsc.com is a great site I had never visited before. Thanks for that.
Hopefully, this will help someone else when they are researching the same issue.

Dale
'91 C2 CAB

Quick Reply: Top Controller