BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
thanks Frank!
EDITED: Post revised.

Hi Rey,

Apologies for the late reply.

Your offset can't be calculated from the info you have, because your centre dish dimensions are unknown. Not all E28 centres are the same, especially between Mag and later Alu.

BHCfarkas wheel specs won't be relevant for what you are trying to achieve, because his tyres are super stretched and his camber specs aren't necessarily appropriate for your application.

BHCfarkas is running 205 on 8.75J on 10.5J on 235, his rear tyre size is a normal size on an 8.5J! He's done this to reduce the size/ shape of the tyre wall/ profile to increase arch clearance so that he can run extremely low for aesthetic reasons.

I assume you wish to run standard tyre sizes, sporty geo and ride height near RS spec?
If so, 8.5J will want a 225 and 10J will want a 265.

If so, the maximum front offset possible is ET47 (ideal ET52) rear maximum is ET32 (ideal ET47).
The above maxim figures are on the basis of achieving the lowest ride height possible, whilst using the maximum offset, standard tyres and maximum negative camber.

To give you my BBS specs,
7.5 & 1 = 8.5J
8 & 2 = 10J

Front and rears are ET55. I run a 5mm shim on the front, so ET 50. A 15mm shim on the rear, so ET 40. Which works because I have an aggressive track geo.

Point being you need to get those offsets measured up for us to properly advise. Hope that helps.

Last edited by BLACK-BETTY; 03-18-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply Frank. My original question revolved around the back spacing measurement of the wheels. Since the seller of the wheels didn't know what the ET was, I thought that we could figure it out by measuring the back space of the wheels since it's probably the easiest measurement to take while being the most accurate. I understand where my ET has to be, I just wanted to know if you could figure out the ET of a wheel if you knew what the back spacing was. I was hoping that you or anyone running these wheels, knew their back spacing measurement so I could compare to the wheels on sale. Make sense?

So BHCfarkas gave a back space measurement of 6.5 and 7.5. Does yours measure close to that? Also, going back to what you said about center dish dimensions, that not all centers are the same size. I can't imagine that they are that much different. Also, with the sizes of the barrels (1/7.5 fronts and 1.5/8.5) can the ET be that way off? And even if they were, would changing out the barrels make it work?

Sorry if I'm missing something.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 AM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Thanks for the reply Frank. My original question revolved around the back spacing measurement of the wheels. Since the seller of the wheels didn't know what the ET was, I thought that we could figure it out by measuring the back space of the wheels since it's probably the easiest measurement to take while being the most accurate. I understand where my ET has to be, I just wanted to know if you could figure out the ET of a wheel if you knew what the back spacing was. I was hoping that you or anyone running these wheels, knew their back spacing measurement so I could compare to the wheels on sale. Make sense?
Short answer is yes.

All we need to know is the measured backspace from the seller, and the actual width of the wheel to figure out the offsets

Once we get those measurements, we can help you calculate the actual offset, and make suggestions on how to make them fit, or if they will fit. Until then, it's all speculation.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Ok. Got the back spacing from the seller. Its same as your BHCfarkas. 6.5 fronts and 7.5 rears. Just to reiterate, the size of the wheels are 18 x 8.5/10. With the back spacing the same as yours, I'm thinking they will fit. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:41 PM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Ok. Got the back spacing from the seller. Its same as your BHCfarkas. 6.5 fronts and 7.5 rears. Just to reiterate, the size of the wheels are 18 x 8.5/10. With the back spacing the same as yours, I'm thinking they will fit. Thoughts?
Fantastic, then without doing my calculations all over, I've already stated that they would be as follows:

Front: 18x8.5 ET +45
Rear: 18x10 ET +51

Personally, I find these offsets to be ideal for any 964 and will fit very nicely on your car, even with a nice meaty tire.

Rey suggested some ideal offsets, which these wheels are not far off of. ~5mm offset difference is very little from what he suggested. I say go for it and enjoy them!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 AM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BHCfarkas
Fantastic, then without doing my calculations all over, I've already stated that they would be as follows:

Front: 18x8.5 ET +45
Rear: 18x10 ET +51

Personally, I find these offsets to be ideal for any 964 and will fit very nicely on your car, even with a nice meaty tire.

Rey suggested some ideal offsets, which these wheels are not far off of. ~5mm offset difference is very little from what he suggested. I say go for it and enjoy them!
Yes I am going for it. Already contacted the seller and told him I want them! Can't wait to get my hands on these iconic wheels! I know how rare these beautys are so I'm excited to say the least. Thanks for all your help and advice. I really appreciate it!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default BBS wheels

I purchased these from a fellow PCA member.
I am still looking for a 964 to put them on
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2014, 06:06 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Came acroos some old pics of mine when I had 18" BBS LM's on the car - since changed to Cup 1's and then to the current Speedlines..
Cheers

Mark
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
TheAbeFroman (09-16-2021)
Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 PM
911Thrasher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to order gold E88 for my RS - and save my magnesium Cups from all the potholes

Note: funny, my RS is also black, but named J900 RSL

Last edited by 911Thrasher; 08-31-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911Thrasher
Decided to order gold E88 for my RS - and save my magnesium Cups from all the potholes

Decent choice. They'll look fab.
If you know anything about garage rentals in London - PM me.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM
911Thrasher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stefan964
Those are 8x18 ET 52 and 9,5x18 ET47 with a weight of (if I remember correctly) of 8,3 front and 8,9 kg rear wheel.

I also like the look on the midnight blue RS.
Your car is a RS...so is mine. I'm in the process of ordering E88 from BBS.

With your set up do you run additional shim/spacers? Or just the original rear spacer?

My RS still being on its original Cups magnesium also runs on the original rear spacer (none on the front...as when it left the factory)
Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Your car is a RS...so is mine. I'm in the process of ordering E88 from BBS.

With your set up do you run additional shim/spacers? Or just the original rear spacer?

My RS still being on its original Cups magnesium also runs on the original rear spacer (none on the front...as when it left the factory)
Those specs you quoted are a direct fit.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 PM
911Thrasher
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Garage space in West London: I wish!

My solution was to sell a car or two

And am still stuck with several cars, which I can just not sell (964RS, R107SL, Range Rover classic)
...and must swap the resident parking permits between them depending on the season!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Well, that'll be mine then ! Photos about seven years old, and not the most flattering of the old girl. Have got the wheels rather better spaced out now, so the look is much more aggressive. These are only 17" 7ET55 and 9ET49 unlike the E28 18" that many people are running. I keep meaning to get them refurbed and the the centres returned to gold (there are a couple of chips in the paint and you can see they are gold underneath !). Handilly with the use of appropriate spacers they also fit on my 968 CS, so are dedicated track wheels for both cars.

Jamie
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Frank,

The garages infront of my car in the pic above still exist. I moved out of the block nearly five years ago, and several of the garages were empty and unused at that point. The block is called Parkland Court on the corner of Addison Road and Upper Addison Gardens in Holland Park. You could do worse than put some notes through the letter boxes of the flats to see if anyone would be interested in letting their garage.

The place looks rather different now - before I sold up I was responsible for a pretty major redevelopment of the block, and the spot where my car is sitting in the picture is now occupied by a new garage that belongs to a certain tall, fuzzy-haired, television presenter / motoring journalist who owns the penthouse appartment.

Jamie

Quick Reply: 964 BBS Picture thread