Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Refinishing Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
I used a 2-part epoxy which worked out great. It goes on easily, and is self leveling. With the 2-part, I got a very hard and durable finish.

http://www.g2usa.com/category/G2-Bra...per-Paint.html

The trick is to portion out both the paint and hardener to the amount that you would use.

I also bought a stencil kit on ebay. It is stuck on and you spray white paint thru the cutout. Finally finish with a clearcoat over the logo and stand back and admire!
Yes I also agree with LouZ, I did the G2 process on my '86 Carrera and last year on my 964. The stuff is very durable. After 5 years is still holding very well on my 86 Carrera as new owner confirmed.
This can also be done with the Calipers still in place, there is no need to bring the caliper to bare metal, jut a good sanding to smooth things out. The paint will do the rest it is a very durable ceramic like paint.
I removed mine for better results, and there are plenty of color available for this paint.
Attached Images      
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 AM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in the end I decided to have the callipers refinished by a shop in LA called Fast Forward Wheels (ADBA Wheel Dynamics I think).

I came across them while surfing around looking for options but what really sold me was that the local high end paint shop (Burrard Autostrauss) recommended them. They had quoted me a min of $200 a corner but mentioned one of their top customers had used the services of FFW in LA. When I called Eli down there he walked me through the process and I sent the callipers down to get them to do their thing.

The price was lower, the process better, and the results speak for themselves.

I won't suggest the DIY kits do not deliver results because I've never gone that route, but having these done by a pro to this level is very satisfying. They really do look like they just came off the factory floor (wish the whole car did).

I also wish I could have figured out how to break the seal on the bolts holding the rears in place. I tried all the tricks and had the correct tool but I just did not have the leverage I needed. As a result I'll need to have the rears done next winter and will have my local shop break the seal on those bolts for me this spring.

So here are a few pics but they really don't do the job FFW did true justice.

Last edited by hamah; 02-23-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Very Nice!

Very Nice indeed!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, those do look sweet.