Sponsored by:

Advice on 964 Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM
97turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 964 Speedster

I am thinking about a 964 speedster. What would you say the price is for an excellent example with around 20k mileage? What are the watchout's in buying one? Do you think it's value will hold in the long term? Appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd say around $70K-$80K for a 20K mile example in great condition, maybe even a little more. They have the same issues as any other 964. They will hold their value, seeing that they're already selling for more than they were when they were new.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'd say around $70K-$80K for a 20K mile example in great condition, maybe even a little more. They have the same issues as any other 964. They will hold their value, seeing that they're already selling for more than they were when they were new.

Good luck!
+1, and the European and Asian markets will pay more than that for an unmolested US/Canadian version... I have seen it personally running the 911 Speedster Registry.

Over the next 10-20 years, I think they are a great investment. Just like the "70s muscle car" market of that past decade led by the Baby Boomers, the Gen X'ers will retire and drive up prices on low-miles limited production Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos from the late 80s and early 90s. With all of the special-production 964s, I think the turbo, turbo S, America Roadster, 92 US Cup, RS America, C4 Widebody and Speedster will be in high demand. And to that point, value of those cars have been steadily climbing over the last decade - at least for low mileage examples (sub 20-30k)...

I have noticed that 94 and 89 Speedsters have shared a similar market valuatuon curve until a few years ago when the 89s began to take off and cross $100K mark. Unless we see a cataclysmic macro-economic downturn (possible of course), I expect the 94 Speedster to cross the 100k price point in the next 5 years or so...

Regarding what to look for - 2 comments:
1) SEATS - the more sought-after option is actually the factory-spec Recaro bucket seats. Almost half of the 800+ 1994 Speedsters were built with the optional "leather" seats that can be found on any 964, and the reason for this is that they are a much more comfortable seat for the driver and participant. Cars with the factory Recaros price a bit higher.

2) STICK versus TIP - Tips are currently discounted in the market ($5-10K or so), but only a handful were made. I am not sure if this trend will continue or possibly reverse due to all the advances in auto transmissions (dual clutch, etc.).

All my opinion of course, but I do really love 911 Speedsters. Best of luck!
-B
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM
97turbo
Advanced

Goofball deluxe and Blake, thanks for the advice and encouragement. It is very hard to search for the speedster. I am also thinking about the 3.6 Turbo. I can't decide between the two.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM
philt68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the nice thing about the turbo is the glorious fat rear end...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 PM
sammspeed
AutoX

Hi there,

I believe Blake put it in a very correct way. 100% agree. I bought my one in 1996, at that time nobody believed that the prices will go the way they are now already.

However the possible priece increase was not my concern at all. I bought the car simply for the reason that I loved it right away when it was released. Grown up with a beetle (73' 1303 S - still have it) a 964 Speedster was exactly "my dream ride"

When the 93' Speedster was introduced, it was not a hot selling item. The same time the 993 came out and customers looked for more comfortable things. The Speedster was too mean. Funny enough, today everybody is crazy exactly about those mean things. I have even not an aircon and surely the so called RS version. Price increase or drop: I don not care I will not sell the car anyway. Next generation (son and daughter) are already on stand by, waiting that dad is unable to climb into the bucket seats :-)

However, as long as I can make it by myself into the garage, it ain't happening

Greets
Mike
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Advice on 964 Speedster