Sponsored by:

Brake Cooling Kit Fitted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcs_911
Looking at the original parts photo, it looks like the sizes of the hoses and ducts do not match up. Like the fender liner outlet ducts (at the top of photo) are smaller than the diameter of the flex hose. It looks like the clear tube/hose pieces at the bottom are then used like reducers to go from the flex hose diameter (3 inch?) to the diameter of the outlet duct. Can you tell where all the pieces went with your installation?
Hi JCS, you've pretty much answered it yourself. The plastic flange on the fender line protrudes into the void (bumper side). The clear spacer slides over it and then the duct tubing is attached to it with a hose clamp. Because the inlet at the air scoops is about twice as wide as the exit at the fender liner, the velocity of the air flow coming out should be greater and therefore have a greater cooling effect.

You might also have noticed in the first pic that there is an extra set of hose clamps. These should have been used to attach the 3 inch tubing to the outlet of the scoops. However, when mine arrived it was clear that the scoop outlets were too wide and the tubing would not slip over them. I alerted FVD about this who realized that I was the first to be supplied with a new batch of scoops and that the outlet was now the wrong diameter. However we found that the tubing would fit snug inside with just some silicone adhesive needed to keep it in place. I'm in contact with FVD about this. Hopefully, they'll rectify the scoop design for future customers.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone recommend a source for a duct kit? I searched all the usual sources and haven't found any hits.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Can anyone recommend a source for a duct kit? I searched all the usual sources and haven't found any hits.
Here's a link to the FVD brake cooling kit
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even cheaper if youre in the US

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...+180&.x=7&.y=6
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think FVD's fender liner solution is beautifully made, and adds a form of functionality to the fog replacements often left blocked without any purpose but esthetics....

...without going the lengthy way of hub center feeds (and associated challenges of pipework/wheel clearance) real world functionality is at best a compromise (?)

Would be nice to hear some (track) experience on the above.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by evoderby

Errrr... it's been covered earlier in the thread. Extra cooling = longer periods of time on track, better brake performance. I noticed the difference.

real world functionality is at best a compromise (?)
There's also TechArt's solution that retains the fog lights - no compromise http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/96...s_964_965.html
Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I think FVD's fender liner solution is beautifully made, and adds a form of functionality to the fog replacements often left blocked without any purpose but esthetics....

...without going the lengthy way of hub center feeds (and associated challenges of pipework/wheel clearance) real world functionality is at best a compromise (?)

This year, I had the pedal go long at some tracks after a few laps. Particularly, the grand prix track at Donington that has some very heavy braking points. The pedal would return to normal when the brakes got to cool down. Hence, why I decided that it was time to get some extra cooling. I will certainly report back about the difference it makes when I re-visit those tracks next year.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM
evoderby
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Errrr... it's been covered earlier in the thread. Extra cooling = longer periods of time on track, better brake performance. I noticed the difference.
Errrrr.....1st I didn't know what type of cooling setup you were using, 2nd maybe contrary to popular belief vented discs are cooled from the center outwards.....hence the hub mounting plates used on serious racing applications as seen here https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-on-964-a.html

Good to hear you noticed a marked difference!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
evoderby
Pro

Originally Posted by boxsey911
This year, I had the pedal go long at some tracks after a few laps. Particularly, the grand prix track at Donington that has some very heavy braking points. The pedal would return to normal when the brakes got to cool down. Hence, why I decided that it was time to get some extra cooling. I will certainly report back about the difference it makes when I re-visit those tracks next year.
COOL!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Errrrr.....1st I didn't know what type of cooling setup you were using, 2nd maybe contrary to popular belief vented discs are cooled from the center outwards.....hence the hub mounting plates used on serious racing applications as seen here https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-on-964-a.html

Good to hear you noticed a marked difference!
Errrr...
You can't beat direct ducting. I think FVD's setup is well conceived and works on track days. But I think it's a measure to take after a few other things are done. A good set of discs and pads work a treat. As Steve will attest there are some great pads out there and he has certainly directed Cheeksyboy and me to some wonderful stuff. Braking technique is also key during a session, allowing the brakes to go through their heat cycles, good brake fluid, big reds and a cooling lap all work well. I would say that direct ducting is I'm sure brilliant for a race car but for track days the FVD system is up to it. Steve's feedback is gold dust as he has way more experience (and talent) than me.

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 10-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
The Flying Dutchman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice stuff. But why not make the pipe go to the disc itself (so not airduct to back-side bumper). There is so much wind squirling in the wheelarea, that a lot of the 'cold' air from the front of the car will not make it to the disc.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman
Looks nice stuff. But why not make the pipe go to the disc itself (so not airduct to back-side bumper). There is so much wind squirling in the wheelarea, that a lot of the 'cold' air from the front of the car will not make it to the disc.
It's a good question/idea.

The kit I've fitted is certainly not the last word in brake cooling and I didn't mean it to be (the intention of the thread was mainly to show how this particular kit is fitted). There may well be better 'homemade methods' that could direct the cooling flow better. I think the nice thing about this kit is how user friendly it is because there's no worry of tubing fouling the hub. Especially when the wheels are turning. The other approach is to simply fit bigger brakes that dissipate heat better. However a big red upgrade is at least five times the price and then has ongoing extra costs of the larger pads and rotors.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman
It is possible but not simple because of the lack of space available when the wheel is on full lock. The key part on the kit Steve has fitted is the extra deflector which sends the vent air to the center of the brake.
There is surprisingly little air getting to the inner wheel arch, especially when a car is lowered as the existing deflector sits higher and is a little less effective.
I would remove the rear protective plate for added effectiveness.

Nice job btw Steve
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ras62
I would remove the rear protective plate for added effectiveness.
Rob, the backing plates went a few years ago......owing to rust they would have fell off by themselves if I hadn't removed them!

I think the original deflectors deflectors retain their effect regardless of suspension height because of being attached to the wishbones. This is a better photo which shows how the original deflector funnels air to the bottom of the rotor and how the new deflector feeds the top of the rotor and caliper.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
the new deflector feeds the top of the rotor and caliper.
If you can, take a look at what some of the racing teams did with the 964 and 993 back in the day. Vaguely remembering that without direct ducting to the hub, the cooling effect on the disc was almost non-existent and the kit itself basically cosmetic.

And then there is the ultimate...

Quick Reply: Brake Cooling Kit Fitted