Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting bucket seats - frames keep twisting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting bucket seats - frames keep twisting?

I've just tried to fit some Recaro SPG replica bucket seats in my car. I bought a universal subframe and side mounts from Design 911.

It was an exercise in patience getting them in. It seems no matter which way I try to fit them the last bolt does not want to tighten...

I tried mounting the runners to the car first with the side mounts bolted to the seats, then fitting the seats in the car, the last bolt would not line up and tighten, no matter which order I tried.

So I tried undoing off the runners and bolting the seats to the runners first. The runners then wouldn't bolt up.

Finally I fitted the runners, bolted the side mounts on top and fitted the seat in the car last. This time I can twist the seat so the different mounts line up but now I can't slide the seat back and forth...!

Basically once all the mounts are in place something is twisting and the frame / seat doesn't line up.

The bolts are symmetrical each side, i.e. one bolt in from the front on each side, etc.

Is this a known issue with bucket seats? Has anyone had similar issues?

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reckon the subframe is wrong.
Mine fitted straight in, no issues.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:50 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong subframe is the easiest answer. Is it out by the same amount of on both sides?

I guess they are grp shells? If grp body panels are anything to go buy, grp can warp significantly in storage. Maybe the seat itself is out of whack. If you sit them on flat ground do they look square?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Managed to get the seats in and working properly. Not sure what caused the twisting. I swapped a runner on one side and swapped the seats over and that seemed to cure it.

For those attempting to do this in the future I suggest the following method, as I could not find this info anywhere else:

1. Install the runners into the original floor mounting positions. I was able to line mine up so I didn't have to drill or adapt anything. Do not tighten these bolts until last, just leave them loose enough so the runners can move freely.

2. Install the side mounts. Again, leave the nuts and bolts fixing the side mounts to the runners finger tight to allow some movement.

3. Fix the seats in the car to the side mounts. Install the bolts at diagonal opposites and gradually tighten in the same order. This is tricky due to the centre console but definitely possible with some body contortion!

4. Gradually tighten up all the other bolts until everything is nice and secure.

This method worked for me. Now I have to decide if I actually prefer them to my original sport seats!

I bought Recaro SPG replicas from eBay made by BK in Germany. They are very light and very comfy. They were banned from sale I think for being too similar to Recaro's.

Thanks for advice all those above!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Put some pics up of the new seats Stan
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Of course, this is the 964 board, photos are a must, sorry!

A couple of night shots as been out all day:

If I keep them I will get them re trimmed in black leather but the jury is still out....
Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look very good, what's the issue woith them if youre considering not keeping them?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

I bought them as a trial to see if I wanted buckets or not. Paid £300 on eBay a few months ago for the pair. They are a tad too big as the shoulder wings just touch the doors but not really an issue.

I can't decide if the RS style interior look is something I want. It also makes it impossible to use the car for family days out, which is nice to do occasionally...

I'll keep them for a couple of weeks to see....! If I do change them, I'll be looking to swap my RS door cards back to std too!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanUK951
I bought them as a trial to see if I wanted buckets or not. Paid £300 on eBay a few months ago for the pair. They are a tad too big as the shoulder wings just touch the doors but not really an issue.

I can't decide if the RS style interior look is something I want. It also makes it impossible to use the car for family days out, which is nice to do occasionally...

I'll keep them for a couple of weeks to see....! If I do change them, I'll be looking to swap my RS door cards back to std too!
Makes sense to see how they go, good luck with it they look great, something I want to do when funds allow
Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wots not to like?
they look great to me.

Quick Reply: Fitting bucket seats - frames keep twisting?