Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mike's New Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike - although I suspect you have put seat-buying on hold, did you make a decision? I am interested in what you went for.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh no Mike. What a bummer. Pop along to the London meet anyway, frank and co will cheer you up!

Fingers crossed you're on the road again.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike welcome onto Rennlist first of all the 964 looks lovely. Sorry to hear the car has come to a mechanical halt so soon, as you said at the beginning the car was leaking all over the show, smokey and in bad health. At least you can rebuild her now rather than later and enjoy. But in the meantime am sure everyone here will lend a hand if not advice.

The fun begins here as they say.

Norm
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Thanks for the kind words guys. Had some new lighting fitted up in my Garage yesterday. It is unfortuantely illuminating a 964 sized space. The cars is at Jota and Paul has finally cleared some space in the workshop for Peppa to get fixed. Engine I believe will be out early next week. Paul is fascinated by my issue of only half the cylinders firing. Fascinated has me slightly worried but I'm looking forward to progress and ultimately getting back on the road.

Seats....
I am definitely getting the existing seats reconnolised only because I think I might be living with them for a while, due to potentially increased engine spend. But lets see. I'm going down to Corbeau next week and will report back on the RSS recliners, though I have also been scouring Ebay for a set of second hand Recaro recliners.

After much deliberation around the whole steering wheel this I decided to go for a Porsche 968 Clubsport wheel. Why I bought this when I currently have no car to put it on I can only put down to the madness that has obviously set in. I already have two sets of alloys for the car but I made the mistake of visting the AP Car Design website and now I am pretty sure that I'm going to get a set of their AP 5 spokes in Anthracite or Black. I have sent an email to them but haven't heard back yet, which is probably a good thing for my wallet. Has anyone here fitted them yet ?

This weekend as part of my continued Birthday celebrations I'm driving Supercars on a trackday, otherwise I'd definitely be going to the London 964 meet, in my pickup. But have a great day guys and hopefully I'll be at the next one with my own rather super car.

Spends so far
£15,000.00
£ 71.98 - Clear front Indicators
£ 309.95 - Genuine Club sport steering wheel
--------------
£14,618.07
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Love the write up and the diminishing fund idea on each post...sorry abut the engine... lucky you have some cash available. Will the vendor not help you out a little though? did he warn you the engine was on the way out? if he's as helpful as you said he should help in some way, even if just a symbolic gesture.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Evening Chaps. It's been a while since I last posted about my sick car. Well I can now say that it's on the mend, courtesy of Mr Paul Sage, Jedi Knight and all round top bloke. So to begin...
The car was towed to Paul's Garage and sat there for a couple of week or so while Paul finished the other scheduled work.

I got the sorrowful call from Paul to come down and survey the damage. I knew it was not good news and in my heart I knew the 'simple' rebuild was not on the cards.

The catastrophic failure of the left bank of cylinders was due to oil starvation, Paul thinks, which lead to cam sprocket dowel shearing and stripping the teeth off the inner sprocket as the two wheels stopped moving in sync and causing the timing to go out resulting in valves hitting the cylinders and spreading shards of metal all over the place. (you can tell I'm not mechanical right?) The photos pretty much tell the whole story. But it's the inner sprocket devoid of teeth that show how bad things got. So there I stood in front of a pile of rusty tinwear, heat exchangers and exhaust bits knowing that my dreams of a sorted car for £15k was literally up in smoke. Peppa was going to need a full rebuild. New pretty much everything.

After the initial upset I began to think of the fact at least there's going to be a new 100,000 miles of rock solid smile once it was rebuilt. The list of bits required was huge and Paul and I agreed that I would source some parts and he would do the majority, only so that I could spread the cost across cash and the evil plastic.

The build is well under way and we are hopeful that we'll be complete in January 2013.

I'll post some more pics later.

Peppa's in still in surgery but she'll be in recovery soon...
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Here's a couple of shots showing the very very poor state of the engine.
Attached Images           
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry too much about it Mike. I know from what you say it's got some damage inside but honestly, most of them look like yours when it's out and stripped down properly for the first time. Mine certainly did! Take loads of pics for your records because the rebuild will add a lot of value to the car.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
The photos pretty much tell the whole story.
Can we see pics? Edit: Just seen the pics.

there's going to be a new 100,000 miles of rock solid smile once it was rebuilt.

The list of bits required was huge and Paul and I agreed that I would source some parts
I have some barrels and pistons if that helps at all? Also Nick at RedTeck has lots of engine bits around his shop. Maybe give him a call and see what he's got?

Thanks for the update Mike, we're rooting for you! It's all onwards and upwards from now on. As long as your crank is alright you'll be fine.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Looking good. Was this on eBay?
Looks familiar.
Think you should go peppermint it is stunning
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Love 964 you have, some inspiration on here:-

http://www.facebook.com/ModifiedPorscheRegister
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know how I missed this thread, total bummer the engine let go but sounds like you'll be running again soon enough.

As it goes I think I saw you car at Paul's when I was there a couple of weeks back.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Non-sunroof a BIG bonus!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

So guys it's been a while since I updated but I've been waiting for something to actually be completed to show you. As you know the engine died with a catastrophic failure on the left bank of cylinders due to oil starvation. I was originally hoping for a top end rebuild when I got the car and to fix a few oil leaks but that was not really on the cards after the failure. A full rebuild was not something I entered into lightly and I did consider going down the route of buying a used engine but do you really know what you're going to get here and after perhaps spending 3-4k on another unit, you'd probably have to spend at least that again to get a top end job to be comfortable that you'd have a tight engine.

This car (I hope) is a keeper so I tasked Paul Sage to build me the strongest most leakproof engine he could. Outright performance was not the main objective but a mild increase due to better breathing is hoped for and once a chipped on a rolling road I'm hoping for something like 275 - 300 bhp.

I will be detailing a complete parts list on subsequent posts, but our objective was to use as many parts from the old engine as possible but only if it did not represent a significant compromise to the overall build or else new Porsche Parts or aftermarket upgraded components would be used.

While the car is definitely my daily driver I wanted a good looking motor. To this end every nut, bolt and washer that was reused was cleaned and nickel-plated. In fact everything was fastidiously cleansed and checked by Paul. To see a bench covered in carefully laid out groups of these small items showed the level of care and detail Paul puts into his rebuilds.

I wanted to personalise this engine a bit and I've always loved the fans in bright colours. Orange is probably my favourite bright colour so we decided to powder coat the Intake plenum and the fan as a contrast to the black coated new engine tin. I think it works.

I'll provide more details later but here's a few shots of the completed engine. This is hopefully going back into the car in the next couple of weeks after the gearbox has been thoroughly cleaned and checked over.

After considering many options for the exhaust I decided to go for FabSpeed Header Muffler kit. I ordered this directly from Alex at Fabspeed who was incredibly helpful. It worked out to be very cost effective and it arrived 4 days after being despatched. I also order billet valve covers from Pelican in the US after reading that new Porsche ones will eventually suffer leaks whereas these baby's should not warp or distort.

I ended up sourcing most of the parts from Porsche Tonbridge. They were very competitive and in several cases were able to be many of the internet businesses on availability and price. I was not expecting that at all. Porsche parts can never be described as cheap but if you're going to rebuild then it does not pay to compromise. But that's me.

Just a few more bits to go on but it's sealed and looking good.

I found Paul from this forum but I could easily have missed him and I did talk to many of the other well known guys. I chose him because i thought he was someone I could trust with my project. I'm only doing this once and making the right decision on who will do this is so very subjective. I can only speak from my experience but he has exceeded all of my expectations on every level.

I thoroughly recommend him he's quite a character and really quite funny. He can be reached on 07885 096866.
Anyway enough words here's some pictures...
Attached Images        
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow!

Quick Reply: Mike's New Car