Sponsored by:

Seats for big guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seats for big guys

Hi guys I'm just about to take delivery of my new (old) 964. It's got the original sport seats in and even on the test drive i knew they will not suit me long term. I'm 6'2" and at just over 18 stone, 250 lb I'm not exactly what you'd call lightweight. Let me qualify my shape a bit, I'm big but in an athletic kind of way not just lardy(well not entirely). Anyway my butt is probably a bit snug in Recaro PPs but I was looking at recaro sportsters or some carbon fibre recliners from design 911 (track rs recline). Limitation with buckets is access to the back, my kids are proper petrolheads and if I'm out driving they will be too. Anyone had any experience with fitting either of the above seats in their 964? Or can someone suggest some cost effective alternatives. Max spend £1600.00. Ta. Btw I love this forum. ...work at the office is suffering
Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mr music, first things first. Pics of new (old) car?

Well iam 18stone and have recaro pp,s.
Love em, best mod imo.
Problem is a 64 is a very small car, big seats make it even smaller.
I fitted cobra misanos before the recaros, but there wider and dont fit proper.

Best is to try b4 buy!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Im 6'5" and 230lbs.. went with Recaro Profi XL's for my M3's. They fit me fine.. If anything too big on the width. I know they arent reclining but Recaro do many sports seats so im sure if u gave them a call they could tell you the ones that have the same dimensions and recline. Where are u based? Easiest thing to do is head to a dealer and try all the seats out.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Pole Positions but I find my shoulders a little large for them.

Sparco Evo 2's are very light and are a better fit but I think you've really got to go and try a few out to see what suits best as it's all down to personal preference.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Pics to come very soon. I get the car on Monday. Sooooo excited. Will share photos and plans shortly. Still looking for recliners. PPs are great but need rear access.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of Pole Positions, check out the Recaro sport seats - there are a few different types. My seats are based on on older model of Recaro sport seats, I am your height and 17 stone and they work well. I think the Sportsters are pretty good for big fellas. Sparco and Cobra both do decent sport seats as well. The sport seats give you the rear access, but are a big improvement on the OEM seats.

No affiliation, but if you go on "www.sportseats4u.co.uk" and look under "Recliner Seats" there is heaps there, for a lot of different budgets, so you could at least do some research there.

Another man to check with is Andrew - Bigunit_271078 (the hint is in the user name...) - not sure what he has but if it works for him it'll work for you!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Just looked at your original post again and you've already looked at Sportsters... you can adjust seat forward and the seat back pops forward as well so no issues getting kids etc into the back...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I;m interested in this too. Just to clarify, do the Sportster seats tip forward with a "quick release" type mechanism or do you have to twiddle the adjustment *** round and round to slowly tilt the seatback forwards? The latter would be a bit of a hassle each time you want to use the back seats, no?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

I have the Recaro Furious in mine, it's the PP for the 'larger gentleman'

Pic is when I was trial fitting, will take a pic of both as fitted and add later today....

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/...ition-fia.html
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Mine have a metal bar that runs across the bottom back of the seat that you pull up on to release the seat back, so it works very well. However, my seats are 2004 models so I'm not sure what the different models have now. Some of the models on the website I mentioned seem to have the ****, and some even seem to be electric. Mine are all manual adjustment and are pretty light (according to the guy who built my car, they are 12.5kg lighter per seat than the OEM seats).

Quick Reply: Seats for big guys