Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Tip Owners - Tell Me About Your Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I might share my experience with the tip. I got mine for the same reasons as why I get to skip the lines at Disneyland. hmm... I'd say it gives up a bit at launch, or lack thereof. At speed it's pretty fast, easy, consistent, and reliable. One negative for me is that in 'tip mode', it shifts up if you lift off the throttle in 1st over 2000 rpm or so. Therefor in slow speed traffic, or on low speed routes, I use the 1-2 of the 1-2-3-D automode. I think the 92'+ holds 1st in tip mode (until red line of course). The ECU is not interchangeable in part due to the change in the final drive ratio. I might be wrong about that, but it's something to consider.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

For about 6 months I had a Tip Targa to "play" with... not my car a friends car that he left with me to sell. While I definitely thought the Tip is quite smart for an automatic gearbox, it lacked the involvement of the manuals... it just felt slow - though it isn't that slow - the experience is something else.

In a manual you build revs much quicker and this in part gives you an experience of speed. The difference of this is particularly noticable making left turns on major intersections. Stepping on it in the manual as you unwind the wheel gives you the idea that you're rocketing forward... this is something missing in the Tip I found.

On the other side... it is so much easier to do stop and go traffic with the Tip. In a city it can be great for plotting along. Highways are quite similar except that it doesn't blip the throttle on the downshifts as you can do with the manual

Both fun, both reliable, just a very different experience IMO.

Quick Reply: 964 Tip Owners - Tell Me About Your Experiences