Sponsored by:

momo wheel horn help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM
tuddy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default momo wheel horn help

Ive done the research, and read the DIY.

Ive searched and tried to find the answer.

Ive installed the OEM porsche horn contact, But the wiring is a tad confusing.

The horn switch obviously requires two wires, the grounding wire that is built into the hub and then the positive.

Do i splice this into the old wire that you pull out of the dash? If I do how do i route it through the hub so it A. doesnt show, and B. doesnt get twisted when I turn the wheel.

Please help me and make me feel stupid by pointing out the obvious solution that i've overlooked.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be fitting mine Monday so if you don't have an answer by then I'll let you know.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

ctually thinking about it, there should be a wire which connects to the contact ring on the base of the steering wheel boss, this connects to one wire of the horn, the other wire goes to the boss body, on a screw which holds the wheel to the boss, havent actually looked at mine yet but that sounds right.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm mobile, so finding my old post is a little challenging. Search the 993 forum for mono and me and I did a write up that I duplicated in the 964 when I moved to my new ride. It worked the same way for the most part, but if you still can't get it to work I can help out on Mon or Tues pm.

Skip
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Momo not mono - sometimes auto correct isn't very helpful.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=107014
Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

I can't seem to get my horn to work, I've followed the instructions in the link above.

I have this part installed to make the horn work. 964 652 104 00. I even put my original wheel back to make sure the horn works, which it does. This is for a MOMO wheel btw. It looks like it should be an easy install it just doesn't want to work for me.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Smellmuth
Advanced

You have to bend the horn contact outwards a bit, old wiring for stock wheel is not used, one new wire goes from momo hub to horn and another from horn to the plate you install between hub and wheel (for ground).
Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What year is your car?

89 uses a different contact. If compare the two, you will see the pin that goes into the car is slightly different. Ask me how I know this?

Took me month to figure out why my horn wouldn't work. I finally pulled the new contact out and stuck the old one back in and the horn worked.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:00 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

That is exactly it, part number 964 652 104 00 wasn't bent out enough to touch the adapter. Well that was an easy fix. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-28-2022, 06:30 PM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 93 Posts

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - but I am having a problem with the wiring and need some clarification.

I plugged in the horn part into the turn signal assembly - check
By plugging in the large multi-pin plugs into the back of the turn signal assembly, the back side of the new horn connector part is covered/plugged into by the large plug. That leaves the front (as pictured above).

When it mentions "There is already a hole in the steering column for this part to slip right in" Yes, got it, it snaps into place. "You will then need to connect the positive horn wire (brown w/ white stripe) to this part" HOW? There are two brown/white stripe wires inside a round connector that used to plug into the old steering wheel. Where/how do you plug this in?

"I did this by extending the brown/white wire with some additional wire and used a slip on connector to the end of the 964 part." Where? What end?

The new momo hub has a wire in it which appears to be used to plug into the horn button. Easy enough. Above, it then says to use another wire to plug the horn button into the plate?

I am likely missing something obvious. I appreciate the help. Once solved, I will put lots of pictures on my workshop thread with a how-to for the momo steering wheels. THANK YOU

Last edited by dmaddox; 01-28-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:14 PM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Have you gone a bit further than you needed to? The contact plugs in, bend it out a bit, put it all together and connect the wires. That's what I did. Maybe I haven't understood your question?
Old 01-28-2022, 08:18 PM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I figured it out, the two brown white are not used and the extra wire was missing in my hub kit. I’ll just make one. Thanks and sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by dmaddox; 01-28-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:57 AM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaddox
I figured it out, the two brown white are not used and the extra wire was missing in my hub kit. I’ll just make one. Thanks and sorry for the confusion!
I think "You will then need to connect the positive horn wire (brown w/ white stripe) to this part" caused the confusion as you don't connect any wires to that contact - it simply makes contact with the hub adapter.

The only wires I needed were inside the hub and they were supplied with it - to connect the end that goes against the contact to the horn, although I added the NRG quick-release adapter as well so it went to that. It looks like you took it all apart far more than I did. Mine is in a 1990 C4.

Your initial reply before editing was exactly correct with regard to how it's all connected.

Last edited by spooky69; 01-29-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:09 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spooky69
I think "You will then need to connect the positive horn wire (brown w/ white stripe) to this part" caused the confusion as you don't connect any wires to that contact - it simply makes contact with the hub adapter.
Thank you - you are right, it was causing confusion as I have those two brown/white wires and I was trying to follow along. I also had to replace my turn signal assembly (I'll do a write-up on it) because the turn/cancel didn't work. I had to manually turn-off the turn signals.

Anyway - thank you, it all makes sense. I also did not (in my momo hub box) get the spare wire that connects to the ring. The only wire was the integrated wire inside the hub. Not a big deal, I'll just make one.

Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply: momo wheel horn help