964 C4 PPI tips for Wed AM??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
translation ... the accident was nothing to worry about.
Agree.

Regardless of collision disclosure, I get the alignment checked on any used car I have bought or recommended. It is very cheap insurance against a very expensive issue.

Good luck with the purchase!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 AM
9oneone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the comp test was re-done by the Pcar shop owner and I did ask to have the valve covers removed to check head studs...everything seems good to go. Turned out valve covers were leaking anyway, so getting in there for PPI was good excuse to replace gasket. Prev owner agreed to cover costs to repair valve cover gasket, the camshaft seal at the power steering drive which was leaking and the right front inner*CV boot which was torn. Compression is 1.180, 2. 175, 3. 185, 4. 175, 5. 170, 6. 170.* Leak down is 1. 2%, 2. 3%, 3. 2%, 4. 2%, 5. 3%, 6. 2%. Lastly, prev owner has provided me not only with repair bill for when the bumper got swiped in a parking lot, but also pics of the car being worked on to repair it. Good enough for me.

Excitedly heading to airport in 2 hours!

Again, thanks to all here for your help in this process--much appreciated!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a nice car with few problems, just some minor to be expected stuff.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:25 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Hope you have a fruitful trip !
I just got home from a 600 mile drive in my first Porsche.........
Ran like a champ !
Attached Images    
Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
9oneone
Intermediate

Congrats on your first Pcar--looks beautiful. Driving mine home right now...well on a break.

All went great with the PPI, purchase, getting things fixed, etc. However, I am without Owners Manual!! .

Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one? Anyone have an extra? Any ideas are much appreciated!

I will post pix when I have access to them.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9oneone
Congrats on your first Pcar--looks beautiful. Driving mine home right now...well on a break.

All went great with the PPI, purchase, getting things fixed, etc. However, I am without Owners Manual!! .

Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one? Anyone have an extra? Any ideas are much appreciated!

I will post pix when I have access to them.
Congrats on the new baby! eBay for the manual. Prepare yourself, they aren't cheap anymore. Also try the Porsche wreckers, like Oklahoma Foreign. There's also LA DIsmantlers, but they can be spendy/flaky.

Love the blue one in the pics. I don't think I've ever seen a Porsche 'blue' I didn't like.
ps: search "fix smile"
Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Congratulations. Post some photos when you have a chance.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM
9oneone
Intermediate

Default 964 pics and HVAC fuse issue

Thanks to everyone for help navigating PPI and purchase. Previous owner agreed to cover charges to reseal valve covers, fix CV boots and reseal camshaft that was leaking. Drivechain housing reseal will happen this winter on my dime.

Here she is! My plan is to replace the black wheels, lose the window tint and raise the ride height a bit, so she starts to look a little more like the Germans intended. Planning out budget, but highest priority seems the following:

The AC system keeps blowing fuse #1. I had the indie in Pittsburg troubleshoot and we thought he fixed it. He replaced the Blower Relay and all was good for my 2 day, 10 hours of driving home. Last night though, I then turned on AC (quickly) from 0 to 4 fan setting and it blew again! Tech down there said he uses 30 Amp fuse for this instead of 25 Amp fuse (even though Porsche says 25A). All I had was a 25A fuse last night and it blew right away. Should I try with 30A again? If that doesn't work, could this be a front blower issue? The front blower does squeak a bit--could this indicate showing signs of wear causing more draw on system? Service records show no replacement of blowers in last 10 years.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. (I looked at other posts on Rlist, but could not find exact same issue). Thanks guys!
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a bad balist resister for the fan, or bad condensor fan.

Or are you talking about the fans inside the cabin?

There are 7 fans I am not sure which one you are talking about.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 PM
9oneone
Intermediate

Makmov,
The fan that squeaks (or squeaked when it worked) was the driver side fan that seems to be directly front of the driver--apparently there are two of those? Is it OK to put a 30A fuse in there? I understand that the fan speed is a continuous servo--could going from 0 to 4 too quickly with the AC button turned on cause too much of a "surge" in the system causing the fuse to blow? Or is this indicative of a bad component?

I'm just guessing to figure out what next steps to take...? I am very new to this and am very much learning as I go, especially considering I am the furthest thing from being a competent wrench!

Any thoughts appreciated...
Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Sounds like you need to find a local mechanic that the Porsche community trusts and have him take a look. Trust someone with loads of experience and an impecable reputation !
Rarely does 'put a bigger fuse in it' solve a problem.....
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol except when it does:
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/2...0489geolab.pdf

to paraphrase: porsche tech bulletin says for fuse #1 use a 30AMP fuse
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM
9oneone
Intermediate

Thanks for that posting regarding the TSB. Thing is, I'm referring to the fuse #1 in the front fuse box. .

I just ordered Adrian's book and an Owners Manual, so sort of flying blind here!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Fuse #1 provides power to the climate control unit (CCU) and the two fans in the trunk that blow air into the cabin. I suspect that you may have a faulty fan motor. I would try removing the CCU and putting in a new fuse to see if it blows. I suspect it won't.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
9oneone
Intermediate

Good call. So is the logic that by disconnecting the CCU, we are preventing the blower fans from operating and that if they are not operating and the 25A fuse does NOT blow, that it's one of those fans that are at fault? (I'd presume the squeaky left one...)

Quick Reply: 964 C4 PPI tips for Wed AM??