Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 C4 suspected rubber clutch failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 08:15 AM
mundo-kombi
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi alexjc4. Thanks very much for the info. I didn't expect a response at all after such a long time, especially one so quickly, and I certainly didn't expect you to still have the C4. Well done!!

OK, you went for the Vertex. I was about to order the Sachs kit. It's still listed on their website Sachs 3.2 G50 Clutch Kit so it's interesting to hear that you'd go for the stock rubber centred clutch if you were to do it again. And if that's the case, maybe it'd be best to get the engine out and carry out an inspection first before I order anything - if I can get away with replacing just the friction plate then I will. There's no sign of the clutch slipping, it's just the occasional "clunk" as I engage the clutch and a rattling as the transmission loads, just as you had reported. The car's only done 50,000 miles so it has spent a lot of time parked up. I guess this lack of use has caused the rubber centre to become somewhat less pliable.

Is the chattering at low speed really significant enough for you to do if differently next time? I imagine the spring clutch is bit more durable.

Quick Reply: 89 C4 suspected rubber clutch failure