Sponsored by:

Porsche Newby question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Shandit66
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Newby question

I'm in the fortunate position of possibly "inheriting" a 1987 Turbo.

My dad (who's fortunately kicking and doing very well) has owned this car since about 1995 and hasn't driven it in about 8 years. Since he hates getting rid of things he's attached to, I'm being granted long term "stewardship" of the car.

The good:
  1. about 50k original
  2. cabrio, red
  3. no known issues
  4. the price is right!

The bad:
  1. its located in Switzerland and I'm in Toronto Canada
  2. Hasn't been driven in 8 years, no idea if it was properly "winterized", it is stored inside a climate controlled garage.

The Ugly:
  1. I need to re-import the car to Canada (it was exported to Switzerland in about 2002). I'll likely need a new safety cert, Emissions Testing not needed due to the age of the car. Not sure if any kind of import tax would be applicable again (its been paid once before, so not convinced it applies again)
  2. Maintenance: Its not my first turbo performance car, but would be my first Porsche. What should I be looking out for?

Obviously a really good tune, change all fluids, likely replace any hoses & belts I can, tires? Battery

Any recommendations for insurance in Ontario? Its obviously a second car (IMO a "toy") and will never see winter conditions.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. You may want to post this question in the 911 turbo forum. The 87 turbo is a different model of 911, than the 964.

Quick Reply: Porsche Newby question