Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Shrek - Bilsteins and a strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 03:38 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Default Project Shrek - Bilsteins and a strut brace

After 2 years of ownership, 238'000 Kms on what is likely the original Boges, it was more than time to change the shock absorbers.
For a daily driver, in the Alps year-round, max performance would not have been a wise choice. I settled on Bilstein B6, which seem to be a good compromise.

Fitting took the best of 2 days, at about 6 hours per. I had a few surprises, mainly the right rear top mount that had totally perished from a fuel leak. I also tried to preserve camber with a digital angle finder and references, which seems to have worked out but I will get it checked. Be warned, you'll need to bleed the brakes if you don't want to modify the holding tab on the strut - I did bleed them, which was a good idea after a year anyway.

I also took the opportunity to fit a strut brace. My mechanic says it is a factory piece, from a Cup car It is obvously built by Heigo but is all black with welded steel feet.

So far the difference is night and day, with the car actually *absorbing* the bumps, not jumping all over the road.

Now that AC also works, I can breathe a bit and plan for the next step: The engine...

Subsidiary question: anyone know these springs? They have been fitted before I bought the car.

Pics:

Old 06-24-2012 | 05:38 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

nice new bits, did you notice a difference with the strut brace?
Old 06-25-2012 | 02:47 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

I can not tell which part of the job did the most effect, but the car is much much tighter now. Steering is very precise, especially on the bumpy roads. It is a car again, not a rodeo bull on steroids. I also corrected the ride height, as the previous adjusters were stuck solid to the struts. The nose is 5mm higher relative to the rear axle now.
Old 05-28-2013 | 10:03 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Could You post the pics again?

Quick Reply: Project Shrek - Bilsteins and a strut brace