Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake lever copper contact shorting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Parking brake lever copper contact shorting?

Since the instructions for adjusting 964 and 933 parking brake is the same, I am assuming the assembly is the same also.

I replaced the parking adjuster piece on the other side this past weekend and the adjusting the copper piece on the lever end to make contact with the new part broke off.

Does anyone have a picture of the parking lever end bare down to the metal to see how this copper strip is connected to the lever? I borrowed this picture from "Theothereric." I am thinking about tapping a screw hole to screw a new piece of copper on to the end of the handbrake lever which can be replaced with new copper pieces in the event the copper end breaks off again.

Also, the parking brake light is on all the time now which makes me think its more than just reattaching this copper piece...
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done this it's a PITA especially if you do it right replacing the rivits. Just not a lot of room to get any kind of tool in there. However, it's copper so it is soft.

So yes, it's attached with a couple copper rivits.

You probably need the switch too because that is usually what takes out the tab on the hand lever.

Yes, you will likely need the switch and the tab to get the light off.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

^The light worked properly before the copper piece broke off the parking brake lever. I was just thinking about tapping a screw under the leather and the recover it. Since my parking brake is covered by alcantara, it is easy to pull back and recover..

Do I have to worry about the copper piece attaching to the brake handle in a specific way? Does it act as a ground on the light switch?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, and it will work again when fixed. Correct the tab grounds the light switch. It's broken off so its an open circuit = light on.

Yes, it goes on in a pretty obvious direction, and needs a good ground to the handle. It will have to be put on the handle sturdily.

Quick Reply: Parking brake lever copper contact shorting?