Sponsored by:

why so many engine rebuilds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 AM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts
Default why so many engine rebuilds?

I am not new to porsches and some of the problems that they can develop . However I see that in most the cars up for sale with mileage between 50-100k have had an engine "rebuild" My car is included in that. I believe my engine was rebuilt approx @ 85,000 miles. now this included a top end and pistons and cylinders. My question is why do I see this so much more with the 3.6's then with the 3.2 and 3.0 of the past? I saw a car yesterday that was for sale that had 56k on it and it just had a complete rebuild what am I missing here?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been thinking the same thing. Could it be neglect or lack of proper maintenance by non-enthusiastsl previous owners?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

It also could be owners being sold a bill of goods by their mechanics...
Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mb911
I am not new to porsches and some of the problems that they can develop . However I see that in most the cars up for sale with mileage between 50-100k have had an engine "rebuild" My car is included in that. I believe my engine was rebuilt approx @ 85,000 miles. now this included a top end and pistons and cylinders. My question is why do I see this so much more with the 3.6's then with the 3.2 and 3.0 of the past? I saw a car yesterday that was for sale that had 56k on it and it just had a complete rebuild what am I missing here?
Originally Posted by The Stig
I've been thinking the same thing. Could it be neglect or lack of proper maintenance by non-enthusiastsl previous owners?
Originally Posted by Metal Guru
It also could be owners being sold a bill of goods by their mechanics...
In a bid for conclusive answers...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-rebuild.html
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Paul
that is what I think happens though in my engine rebuild docs from the po it said ring land on NR 1 was broken this was 2003 done by seigfrieds in CA I actually called them to get more info but they had a fire and lost all their records before 2005 I think if I rememebr right. I have been meaning to write a letter to james sumrall as he was the long time owner with 25k plus in receipts on the car but have not had time (his phone number is the weird ones that do not accept unknown numbers???)

anyhow my car had guides,p&Cs, tensioners, everything but the bottom end done including no new headstuds?? for some reason . I plan on pulling it down this winter to reseal it as oil leaks drive me nuts.

A good friend of mine Henry @ supertec has commented in the past how the 3.6 was not as robust as the earlier engine and curious why
Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd say by far it must be the cosmetic effects of oil leaks, which then is associated with the WYIT question (while your in there).

My engine is powerful, doesnt smoke or use oil at 130k but I am going to have to reseal the engine as I now have smoke coming out of both wheelarches in hot traffic, enough to get people flashing their lights, and the rear deck gets totally covered if I spend any time at 3 figures mph.

So if opened up, the engine will of course have some detectable wear which could do with fixing WYIT, but that wouldnt be a reason to rebuild at this mileage alone. I bet without the leaks I could have made it to 200K.

(So, do I just get a reseal or rebuild bottom up? Still deciding..)
Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
I'd say by far it must be the cosmetic effects of oil leaks, which then is associated with the WYIT question (while your in there).

My engine is powerful, doesnt smoke or use oil at 130k but I am going to have to reseal the engine as I now have smoke coming out of both wheelarches in hot traffic, enough to get people flashing their lights, and the rear deck gets totally covered if I spend any time at 3 figures mph.

So if opened up, the engine will of course have some detectable wear which could do with fixing WYIT, but that wouldnt be a reason to rebuild at this mileage alone. I bet without the leaks I could have made it to 200K.

(So, do I just get a reseal or rebuild bottom up? Still deciding..)
Your engine is powerful, doesn't smote or use oil and is now starting to smoke. Have you done a visual inspection to see if you can pinpoint the source of this new leak? It sounds like a hose connection or something else that would be easily identified and corrected. Please let us know how this turns out.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think JohnnyG is right. The leaks drive action and then the owner slides down the well-oiled slope.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody also told me once that the 964 was released at another bust in our economy which followed a big boom. Owners took receipt of cars they could no longer afford to maintain and maintenance was sidelined. However, I think the oil leak answer is the most likely! How many of us would open up our engines if there was no obvious reason...
Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Mine smoked in hot traffic. Only the right wheel arch though. Turned out to be the hose from filter to thermostat it was corroded at both ends. Mines on 126k miles and that was the only issue.
Fingers crossed it will be fine when it goes back in tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:18 PM
rollingjack
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All air/oilcooled Porsches have problem with worn valve guides.
That is by my mind reason to do top end rebuild. But from top end rebuild is small step to full rebuild.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
I think JohnnyG is right. The leaks drive action and then the owner slides down the well-oiled slope.
+1
Shops, well-meaning or not, back the owner into a corner, likely with tales of how much worse it will get and needing to "protect your investment".
Once opened up, things blossom. What is even more disheartening is the variety of workmanship quality for the $7-10K (or more) spent.
Some got a quality rebuild. Some clearly did not. That's criminal.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

+2 ^^
Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mb911
Not too sure I agree with that. There are a LOT of smokey old impact bumper cars out there with both high and low mileage that will give you dreadful leakdown figures and do technically need a rebuild. They still drive ok, if not as good as new but maybe you wouldn't expect a car of this age to make factory bhp and to use a bit of oil & smoke a bit so a lot of owners will simply drive them and enjoy them as they are.

When parts physically fail is when many bite the bullet and rebuild, headstuds being the perfect example, especially in 3.0 SC.

I'm sure there are many factors that contribute to the engines life from the way it was initially run in, to the service intervals, oils and parts used on the engine, what sort of life it's had i.e. road/track work, being thrashed before being warmed up properly, lots of short journeys, environment / heat etc etc.

I've never thought of the 964 or the 3.6's as being more prone to wear of failure than the older engines, it just has a reputation for the debateable cylinder head 'issue' and for being a bit of a leaker. I think Porsche must have realised this hence why they gave it an nappie/diper/under tray to collect its mess!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

denial....

Money

Alot of owners just didn't take care of them. Probably not so much first owners but second and third owners got in over their heads.

There is no real reason with proper care and maint. that a 3.6 would need a major overhall before 200K or more.

I have come across more than one 911 owner who thinks is a Toyota: doesn't warm it up all the way, short trips it, foregoes proper maint, putt-putts around, so-on and so-forth.

Quick Reply: why so many engine rebuilds?