Sponsored by:

Beeping sound!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
dthompson53
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Beeping sound!

I have a beeping sound that starts as soon as I turn on the ignition. When the sound first appeared, it lasted only a few seconds before it stopped. Now it lasts for 30 minutes or more before stopping. Does anyone know that is causing the beeping sound? At first, I thought it was related to the alarm system. Help! The sound is too annoying to drive the car now. I plan to take it in for an analysis soon.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Search: Christmas tree?
That alarm is loud! I even put tape over the little speaker to quite it down until I had my coils replaced.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Interesting - mine was coils as well. Christmas tree was fun. I had the car for like two weeks when it started - and it completely freeked me out...
Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

On mine if the brake pressure doesn't come up fast enough I'll get the beep from 30 seconds after start until 35 seconds after start. A good bleed of the accumulator fixed that. Did you get any brake warning lights with the beep? C4 or C2?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

+1 - Sounds like you have a C4 and the beeping sound is that the brake pressure reservoir is not fully pressurized. If you turn the key to on and wait, you should hear an electric pump running. When the pump stops, the AWD lights will go out and the beeping noise will stop.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
dthompson53
Cruisin'

Thanks for the replies! My Porsche is a 1994 C4. I had no brake warning lights before the beeps. I will turn the key on and wait for the electric pump to stop running. Again, thanks a lot for your input!!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Laker
Drifting

when you switch the ignition to on, but before starting, make sure all your warning lights come on.
IIRC when I had the issue, the red circled lights stayed on for about 35 seconds until the pressure came up. It could also be triggered by low brake fluid. The brake fluid should be at the full mark with the engine running.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by dthompson53
It is me again with the beeping on my 1994 Porsche 946 C4 Coupe. I took the car in for service and an analysis concerning the beeping sound. I as told that the sound is directly related to the ABS system. I was also told by my service shop that a special tool (that only Porsche dealers have) is needed to pressure check the system to determins what is wrong. Has anyone had this problem before? I appears that this is going to be an expensive fix. My mechanic says that he can disable the beeping sound, but problem that caused the sound could get worst.

For starters you need a Scantool. I'd ask if there is anyone near you in NC with one that you can borrow

Also, have you confirmed the brake fluid is at at the top of the fill mark with the engine running?

Does the "Anti-Lock" light come on when you start the car or before it is fired up?

Last edited by Laker; 06-05-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
passion911
Instructor

Guys, thanks for the very helpful info! I was meaning to get to the bottom of this myself. I turned the key and heard the pump which stopped after ~60-65 seconds but the lights didn't go out. Are the two lights circled supposed to go out before you start the engine?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Laker
Drifting

Originally Posted by passion911
Guys, thanks for the very helpful info! I was meaning to get to the bottom of this myself. I turned the key and heard the pump which stopped after ~60-65 seconds but the lights didn't go out. Are the two lights circled supposed to go out before you start the engine?
On mine with the key 'on' but not started, the pump switches off after exactly 30 seconds, but the lights remain lit. You can bleed the accumulator (the bomb) to get the time down from 60 seconds.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
dthompson53
Cruisin'

[BI turned the key on and allowed the pump to stop running before starting the engine (beeping did not stop). Checked brake fluid with the engine running (at the full mark). The "Anti-Lock" light comes on when the key is turned on. The service mechanic used a scantool to check system. the problem code indicates a problem with the ABS system which he says he can't do a pressure check of the system without the special tool I mentioned.[/B]They have given up and suggested that I take the car to a certified Porsche dealer to get the problem solved. I guess I have no other option/s.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
dthompson53
Cruisin'

Question Beeping sound!

I am back to report on progress so far. I turned the key on and allowed the pump to stop running before starting the engine (beep is still continuous). The brake fluid level is full with the engine running. The anti-lock light comes on when the key is turned on (goes off when the engine is started). Had service shop to check on problem. Mechanic used Scantool to check system. The problem code indicated a ABS malfunction. Mechanic indicated that a special tool ( which only Porsche dealers have) is needed to check system pressure or something like that. The shop suggested that I see a certified porsche dealer to correct the problem. Is that my only option? I am at a dead end!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe post this on the other thread so it's all congruous
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM
dthompson53
Cruisin'

Question Beeping sound!

I am back again to report on my progresss. (1) allowed pump to stop running before starting engine (sound still continuous). (2) checked brake fluid while engine was running (at the full mark). (3) Anti-Lock light comes on when the key is turned on ( goes off when the engine is started). Drove the car to the shop to have it serviced and have mechanic check beeping sound ( the beeping sound was continuous from home to the shop). The shop mechanic used a Scantool to check the system. The problem code pointed to the ABS. He indicated that a special tool (which only Porsche dealers have) was needed to check system pressuse or pressurize the system (something like that). He sugggested that I take the car to a certifed Porsche dealer to get the problem fixed. Do I have any other options? I am at a dead end! Need help!!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Laker
Drifting

Please keep all observations in a single thread. Starting a new thread just confuses everyone.
The only other suggestion I can make is to obtain the actual code generated by the scantool, and then search here (and on Google) to see what other people did to resolve it. Good luck and keep us posted (here, on this thread)

Quick Reply: Beeping sound!