Sponsored by:

Rear-ended by SUV

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Rear-ended by SUV

I've been in three accidents in Boston. In all three I've been sitting at a stop light and had someone drive right into me from behind. The woman in the oversized SUV who decided to try a monster truck play behind me yesterday said that I started moving, so she did too. Only problem is that I didn't move, the light was red, and she didn't stop. I'm waiting to hear from my insurance adjuster now.

Two questions-
1) Are center reflectors really NLA?
2) Is there an argument for accident depreciation?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
mrsimpson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to see mate, hope it all gets sorted for you
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks same thing happened to me, not nearly as extensive damage wise, (still 8k in damages) but no sheetmetal, just cover heat shields, refelctor absorber, etc.

I know that they were on back order but as far as I know you can still get them.

Depends on your State provisions. Some states allow for depreciation some do not. The ones that do not you can sue for it and with a good enough attorney win.

I'd be going through her insurance company. Hopefully its good.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

oh man - sorry nick...
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sorry Nick. To have her blame you, just rubs salt in the wound.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks!!! Hope it ends well... I mean turns out for the best
Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Nick - Sorry to hear the news. Good luck with the repairs. I know how you feel. Just before I moved from California to NH, I was rear ended. I ended up with a new bumper cover, tail lights and primary muffler.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry Nick, this really sucks. If she hit you from behind, she is at fault. If you really started to move and she hit you she wasn't far enough behind you and it's still her fault. Personally I wouldn't start with her insurance, I would start with yours. All hers is going to do is try to screw you. Again condolences.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:34 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! It does help take the sting out. She's definitely at fault, and admitted it multiple times to me. Luckily it was very low-speed. Mostly, I just heard the crunching sounds - pain and suffering claim stemming from nightmares involving crunching Porsche parts? My only real concern was my old dog enjoying the sunshine in the back. She's fine, the rest can be repaired.

I have a feeling that a diminished value claim is going to be a pain. I've started a claim through my insurance and am waiting to here from the adjuster. I'll keep this updated for anyone's future reference.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soory about your loss. I sent you a PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Replied to, and appreciated!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Doesn't matter what she "said". She hit you from behind and she's at fault.

Sorry to see this, and it'll get fixed.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That really sucks!

You're correct, the center reflector is out of stock at Porsche. When I was looking, it seemed the word was that they are making another batch for the fall. I'm sending a PM with a store who recently said they have stock.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happened to me in my C4 too... You'll want to check really carefully to see if the side taillights were damaged in the accident... I mean.. check with a mallet and a piece of wood to make sure there aren't any cracks there that you can't see... You don't want a new center reflector and old taillights...
In my car the engine lid also got pushed up into the body work (Looks likely on yours too...), and left a little nick in the paint above the lid, which meant a respray of the roof, all the way over to the valance under the windshield wipers, which meant new sunroof gaskets, and gaskets under the front valance as well.

It will add up. Fortunately my insurance, Allstate took care of everything and the other guy's paid up all the way. If this woman behind you has something like the Gecko then you're in for a bigger fight. Check with the local Porsche dealer to see who in the area does Porsche repairs... and start there with an estimate...That will give you a sympathetic eye towards what needs to be fixed for real.

All her fault, no matter what she says. She rear-ended you. No argument.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bollocks - that ain't pretty.

As a preventative measure I put a third rear brake light/ spoiler at the top of my windscreen + a little module that makes it flashes repeatedly. It acts as a normal brake light if brakes are applied again within a short amount of time. It's massively increased visibility.

Trouble I was having is since my car was black and the brake lights so low by modern standard people couldn't see me - been lightly bumped a few times before I made the mod.

Found mine cheap on eBay.

' This flashing third brakelight kit is designed to maximise the visibility of your car for a quick reaction from the driver behind you. This module has been developed to provide an eye catching feature to your third brake light, especially as an additional safety feature.

The unit has a specially designed circuit to avoid annoying flashing when simply in heavy traffic. The brake pedal has to have not been pressed for 7 seconds before they will flash when pressed. If you press the brake pedal again within 7 seconds the brake light will work as if the kit was not installed. '

Quick Reply: Rear-ended by SUV