Sponsored by:

Horn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM
gazzy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn?

Could anyone offer any advice,I've just fitted a Momo steering wheel and appear to have lost the horn (no s******ing at the back).I have connected the two wires from the original connections to the horn push,which I assumed were just to make a circuit but I'm getting nothing.The horn does still work as I have set the alarm off to check,so it's not the horns themselves,any advice gratefully received.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Gazzy,

Couple of things:

At least on my '90 the alarm horn is separate from the pair of trumpet horns that are activated by the steering wheel switch, so checking with the alarm system won't help. FYI, the pair of trumpets and the alarm klaxon are all together in the front right wheel arch.

If the new switch in the Momo is providing a good ground to the chassis, the horns should sound (check with an Ohmeter). Are you sure the horns were working before you did the wheel change? I ask because I was recently surprised when I tried to sound my horn (which I do infrequently) and got no sound at all. Turned out the contacts on the trumpet horns had corroded and no current was getting through. This is a relatively common issue on these 20+ year old cars. I disassembled them and cleaned the contacts and they worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jim G.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you order the correct horn contact part from Porsche? It replaces the other horn contact that gets removed when you remove the stock wheel components.

Search for Mod 7 install or Momo install here and you'll see what I mean.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Did you order the correct horn contact part from Porsche? It replaces the other horn contact that gets removed when you remove the stock wheel components.

Search for Mod 7 install or Momo install here and you'll see what I mean.
Here.

Marc
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Marc.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM
gazzy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies gentlemen,I'm sure the horn was working prior to my changing the wheel,but as yourself,infrequently used.Anyway you've given me a few things to look at,at least now I've got something to go at.

Quick Reply: Horn?