Sponsored by:

C4 + autocross, musings, recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
By increasing the front pressures or decreasing the rear pressures, you should be able to reduce the understeer (to a small extent).
There are too many variables for that to always be true. In fact, in my experience, it is usually the opposite of what you want to do.

Tire type (track or street), alignment settings, surface condition, surface temperature, driver skill and how hard the driver enters a corner.....these and any others all contribute. In my experience, as long as the tire is not significantly over or under inflated, I consider the tires to be like a spring which uses pressure to adjust its spring rate. Which, in fact, is what it is.

If I am getting too much understeer and I am not under-inflated in front, I will usually raise the rear pressure by a few pounds. Conversely, if I am oversteering and my existing pressures are already in the neighborhood, I will add some pressure to the front. Of course, if I am over-inflated, then bleeding down is usually the correct approach.

IMHO, the handling charts that we all see that say to add pressure to the end of the car that is not working are way too simplistic.

Of course, all of this goes out the window when the driver is a novice and is the primary contributing factor in handling issues. In that case, just set the pressures somewhere reasonable and focus on the driving. (Note: That is meant as a general statement and not directed at the OP).

Brian
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Gus- yes rake is the angle. Lots of threads on this. I left out that the car is corner balanced. I chalked the tires last year when playing with pressures. At 32/36 I was getting to the edge of the tread and no more/less.

Brian- those the pressure changes that I've always known. It's possible I'm under-inflated on the front. It will be any easy test with back-to-back runs.

The OP's driving is definitely contributing to the problem
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Followup-

I ran an event on Sunday and didn't change anything except adding 1psi to the front tires to give me 33f/36r and the car behaved quite a lot better. In fact, we took 1st in class and was about a second ahead of some very good drivers in 3.2L's. I don't know if it was a fluke, but this course design seem to gel with me and the car both and I think that I learned some general ways to quicken my times.

I ended up bleeding about 1psi out of the tires after every run to keep them at 33/36 hot. We got in a lot of runs- 6 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon, so there wasn't much time for the tires to cool.

There were two runs that I didn't get to bleed off the excess and ran them at 34/37 and the car still behaved very well. I did note that the sidewalls were scrubbing into the triangle indicators. So maybe 34/37 is a better target.

We'll see if I can keep up the streak at the next event.

Quick Reply: C4 + autocross, musings, recommendations