Sponsored by:

Oil overfill drama

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil overfill drama

So I give my C4 to a garage where I usually fix my Hyundai Galloper. I saw a few older porsches in sometimes so I thought let's try them.

I asked them to fix my clutch pedal, and when they finished they told me they also had to top up 3 litres of engine oil. First reaction was "huh? why didnt you ask me about that first?". Secondly the guy didn't have the car running hot enough to get a proper reading. The level was so high once I got home that I had to siphon out 1.5 litres myself just to get it to a safe level.

I was annoyed that they mixed my oil too with some semi-synthetic without consulting me first. So since I was due for an oilchange anyway, I bought 12 litres of Castrol Edge Sport 10w-60. I thought I remembered that the car takes as much as 11 or 12 litres after a full drain, so I told the garage to put in 10 litres and leave 2 in the can.

I come to pick up the car, and theres so much oil that my gauge is showing half full on a totally cold engine! I'm concerned and tell them I think they didn't drain enough because the level seems sky-high. They tell me ahh it's fine viscosity change is making the gauge change blah blah.

So I drive around for 30 mins getting it up to temp (calmly, below 4k RPM), and when I stop moving the gauge is showing above full. I check the dipstick and its at least an inch above the full notch. Plus with engine off I can see the oil in the damn pipe!

I take it back and tell them to drain a couple of litres until I get back another day. Service lady says ok but I can tell she feels that they did nothing wrong.

Quesions are:

1) Was I wrong in asking them to put in 10 litres of oil? Is it 8 or something? If its my fault then I owe them an apology.

2) Could driving around for 30 minutes have already caused problems with oil seeping into the engine?

3) Do I have a right to ask them to check the engine out on their cost? Or is it unlikely and I should just drain a couple of litres and call it a day?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amroth
and call it a day?
if they have no idea what they are doing, then why waste your time and risk your $30k engine.

call it a day with that mechanic and move on.

Quick Reply: Oil overfill drama