Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so what are we all doing for tires now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the Hankook Ventus and so far so good no complaints but just street use so far. Cant go wrong on price either.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kumho's on my 964, they seemed to offer the best price/performance option when I put them on 2 years ago (god time flies). I had bridgestone potenza's before that, which surprisingly seemed to wear pretty quickly although the noise/ride was very good indeed.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Black930
I just got the Hankook Ventus and so far so good no complaints but just street use so far. Cant go wrong on price either.
+1 with a rebate going on at the time they were close to $65 each. The purpose of them was to see if I could deal with summer tires on the odd dry winter day. I ended up being very pleasantly surprised as to their overall performance.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:47 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm going to go with BS RE970s this time around. They're billed as an all-season, but many report they're not so good in snow [a) fine with me as I have separate snow tires, b) implies optimization for warmer weather use ]. I use my p-car on long drives, so longevity, ride comfort, and low-noise appeal to me, but in TireRack's most recent test they came in with high marks for steering response and in-class grip. My C4 never really seems to lack grip, and to me part of the fun of driving hard is being on the limit. I'm hoping that a tire with lower limits will allow me to press hard without having to go 100mph plus to do it.

$0.02
FC
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM
wilson93C4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my '93 964 C4 last September and it came with Conti extreme contact DWS in nearly new condition. Since I purchased the car with them I cannot compare to another tire, but have a few observations. Living in Colorado I had the chance to use them in snow and they were OK for an all season. Not great like a true snow tire but OK, with better ability to get up the hill than to stop which is typical for an all season tire. Tire is excellent in the rain. In dry conditions, traction is good, and I would describe the feel as comfortable. My negative observations are that the tire does not seem very stiff laterally. I am on 16" cup rims and the tires exhibit lots of lateral flex when cornering hard. For example, in the garage, if you rock the car, all the movement is in the tires not the suspension. A few times the car felt a little unstable for a moment when cornering hard at speed. I am not sure if this is just due to the 16" rims, but have been considering a separate summer tire/wheel setup with 17's and a stiffer tire than the DWS. Maybe I am just expecting too much.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI from a post on the 993 board
$100 off 4 tires

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those folks who need tires might want to check http://www.discounttiredirect.com They are offering $100 pre-paid card with purchase of any 4 tires. I believe this ends on May 13th.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Continental Extreme Contact DW. Just check the sizing dimensions before you get them!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson93C4
My negative observations are that the tire does not seem very stiff laterally.
I had these on a Legacy GT; super floppy. People who claim they're 'performance tires' either haven't used the DWS or haven't used performance tires.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
I don't drive the car in the winter, being here in the snowy midwest. so I just need a good summer tire that can handle wet conditions also.

any opinions on these?

Hankook Ventus tires
I run the V12's on the street and in the rain on track.
RS3's on dry track and love both of their products.
I picked up Nitto-01's for the track and will be using them shortly. I've heard good things about the Nitto-05's as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I loved my Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs.

They were quiet and didn't feel stiff, plus they still looked good after 15K miles and three full track days. They offered a really nice progressive slide at the limit (they weren't, ON-then-OFF).
They might not work as well for you up north though, they're rated as Max-Perf. summer tires...of course that made them lots of fun during our dry, mild winters in the Carolinas.

I was sidetracked by a friend's suggestion on my last round of tires...I'll be going back to HTRs for my next set.

Quick Reply: so what are we all doing for tires now?