Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 AM
StewartD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting information on portiacraft Stan, I had GT One inspect a car for me last year, again from a well known seller. Top engine rebuild had been done by the sellers 'guy'. He was very vague about details and wouldn't disclose the name of the workshop who had carried out the work, he also had no invoices but said he would provide. Needless to say the report came back with issues regarding oil leaks (which the seller disputed!) I am happy I walked away with only the inspection cost. I would also rather buy cheaper and pay for the rebuild work myself.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
VR6-er
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stan is yours a C2 manual coupe?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Stewart: you probably had a lucky escape mate. There are plenty of 964's out there, just means being patient. I only looked at 2 cars when buying mine. The first was a Baltic blue c4 with immaculate linen leather interior but the body was a bit too rusty and the price not low enough to reflect it. My car was inspected by Jaz and the problems found fixed by Portiacraft (new bumper bracket, power steering leak and some other minor issues). The engine never had any oil leaks and even if I'd had a compression test it would not have shown much/anything up. Jaz did say it wasn't a rebuild as they might do a rebuild but I had an invoice saying the rings, guides, etc. were done so thought what else can go wrong....

VR6-er: mine is a c4. One day I might put a 993 6spd box from a c2 in her but 4wd here at the moment!

Interestingly, when I took my car for an experience day at the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone my instructor could not get enough of my car on the low friction surfaces. He said it was much better at actually sticking to the road than the modern 911's, which are designed to give a bit of controllable oversteer I guess. He was amazed how it went! I'd still like to lose 100kg one day though!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah engine ready, car nearly ready (was actually final assembled today and washed and polished), just not quite in time to get the engine back in for the long weekend

Sprang for a new windscreen too......!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 AM
VR6-er
Racer

Stan,

It looks wonderful, the bodywork like new.
I like the c4 concept, its something to do with my inability behind the wheel and the safety on offer. Most road tests of the day said their was nothing in it.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Yay! Car is back and all is well with the world!

Car feels great. The RS flywheel feels really good. Only minor negative is increased noise but I like the noise! It reminds me of a 3.2 Carrera or SC with the mechanical noise from low revs. It also feels really smooth and has made the engine feel nice and revvy. Steve (Jaz) said the engine would not idle properly at first but after a system adaptation it is rock steady. I have the Steve Wong chip anyway but it is really good now. I need to run the car in for another few hundred miles but it already feels very quick and part throttle acceleration is very good!

Can't wait to get it run in and tidy up a few little bits I want to do. Also bought a nice Becker CDR 22 head unit to replace my Blaupunkt and an iPod adapter. Looks very factory in the dash although it is a bit of a tight fit.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild