Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Grind Starting In Neutral??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Smesh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Grind Starting In Neutral??

So I park my car, put it in neutral, the the brakes take the load, then shift into reverse or neutral and shut off the car, then take my foot off the clutch. That is my routine since I bought it about a month ago.

Then sometimes, usually I would think, I will hop in, put that car in neutral and start it. The last couple of times though, it grinds when I start the car! I have to put my foot down on the clutch to start it without grinding. At least I think so as I have. It tried to start it a second time without using the clutch when I've had the issues.

Any ideas here? It's a 1990 Carrera 4 Cab. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

You're trying to start the car in reverse with the brakes on and the clutch not engaged?

Maybe I missed something. However, if you're putting the brakes on then loading the transmission before shutting the car off, it could be binding the trans as it cools down. Try applying the brakes, putting it in neutral, shut it off, then put it in gear with everything shut down. In any event, I would not attempt the start the car without first applying the brakes, engaging the clutch, putting it in neutral, releasing the clutch then turning it over.

Otherwise, it sounds like something is wearing. Just the additional load on the starter of turning the clutch assembly and neutral gears in the trans is causing the the grinding. Worn Bendix gear on starter, worn flywheel teeth, worn throwout bearing, worn starter????

Or maybe as simple as a weak battery causing the starter to engage differently on low power.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a bit confused too. You always start the car in neutral right? If this is the case, then it won't be the gearbox.

Do you get any noises or rattles when turning the car off or is it just when you start the car?

If only when starting it could be the starter motor not fully disengaging the flywheel once the cars started. If you get the noise when starting and also stopping the car it could be the flywheel.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you would, please be a bit more specific. Define grind, let us know exactly what conditions and specify your starting procedure a bit better.

The car should be started with the shifter in neutral and the clutch engaged (i.e. pedal out).

best, K
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiB
The car should be started with the shifter in neutral and the clutch engaged (i.e. pedal out).
i thought it was pedal in?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wild guess based on what you have said is ,
you are not getting a good neutral .
The shifter is in neutral but the gears are not all the way to the true neutral position .
Could be a ball-detent problem or a shift linkage adjustment problem .

If you put the shifter into 4th and then go to neutral , can you start up the motor without grinding ?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All that aside, are the bolts holding your starter in good and tight? GERGutzentheit)

KaiB, you're starting to show off with that avatar...
Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
i thought it was pedal in?
That puts a hellacious load on the crankshaft thrust bearings when you start the engine that way.

Things last longer when you start with the foot off the pedal; one simply needs to be mindful about ensuring the transmission is in neutral.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
That puts a hellacious load on the crankshaft thrust bearings when you start the engine that way.

Things last longer when you start with the foot off the pedal; one simply needs to be mindful about ensuring the transmission is in neutral.
Never thought about that. Thanks Steve. Yet another good lesson on Rennlist!

Quick Reply: Transmission Grind Starting In Neutral??